Fibrocartilagenous Embolic Myelopathy (Fce)

Guest lowe

Hi everyone, I just wanted to get some information and experiences with greyhounds who have FCE.

My dog is 7yrs old and has always been fit as a fiddle up until now. He was out in the park on Thursday afternoon. Shortly after coming off the lead he collapsed.

As we were unable to move him, we called the vet out to collect him off the field.

On examining him she suspected he may have had a heart attack or a stroke. At one point the vet thought they were going to lose him as he became unresponsive and his lips turned purple.

He made it though Thursday night and his blood pressure came down, although distressed he was OK.

He was transferred from the vet surgery to the hospital on Friday where they carried out an MRI on him. The MRI found that he'd suffered from a FCE.

He's still in hospital now, he's eaten and they've done some more tests. He seems to have some sort of response in his one leg but not his other. He's still not able to stand thou.

I really don't want to have to lose him if things don't improve. I don't want his quality of life to decline from the injury (i know i maybe jumping the gun here), he's my world I'd hate not to have him around anymore.

I don't want to sound like I'm giving up, I would do anything to help get my dog back home so he's comfortable.

I'd love to hear from anyone who's been effected by this and hear some recovery stories. I'm not scared of the facts, It would help massively to prepare myself if things go bad.

thanks

Edited by lowe

I had a foster who had an FCE - it took a while, but he did regain full use of the affected legs. He was probably fully lame for the first 2-3 days, and then gradually started getting more function back. He was never back to 100% (would list to one side when moving fast) but it never bothered him and he was a happy pup.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

I know that all cases are individuals but to add to the positives I have a friend who owns a Lurcher who had FCE, just like your boy it was very bad and the prognosis did not look good at the beginning but she has made a recovery, she has a very slight abnormality to her gait but is otherwise completely happy and healthy.

I can't remember exactly how long ago it happened, but I am guessing about five years and she is now ten. I hope your boy can show signs of improvement too.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

I am sorry this has happened. The only thing I can add is physical therapy often helps such as swimming. There are some places that have special pools for horses to use and sometimes they allow dogs as well. It's much easy on their bodies and helps build muscle mass. Also FCE depending on where in the spine it occurred is recoverable but takes time as others have stated. It does not usually happen again either so key is helping your pup get his mobility back. Good thoughts for you boy, please keep us updated.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I just found a wonderful video on you tube that might give you some hope

Btw the slight " drunken" gait of the schnauzer is exactly what my friends Lurcher did for many years, it is almost imperceptible now.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

My first grey Rascal had FCE when he was 7 as well...he didn't completely lose use of his legs but went down. His use of his legs came back pretty quickly but he didn't completely regain bladder and bowel control. But similar to a stroke he did get better as time went by....it was a few weeks when there were improvements. Then it was kind of as good as it got. He was healthy other than lack of bowel and bladder control He developed lymphoma at the age of 12.

He was in the hospital for about 10 days and did do better once he got home. I wish you the very best of luck...obviously no case is the same with FCE. Just depends what nerves are effected.

Rascal was also my everything...my only dog at this point. I was completely gutted...it was terrifying.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

:hope Sending healing thoughts for your boy. Keep us posted.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Got him home from hospital yesterday.. Stayed up with him all night as he wasn't able to move so needed to carry him out for the toilet, hand feed him and clean his sick up.

This afternoon he's turned a massive corner.. He's been able to walk on his own around the house, unaided by me using the sling and even managed a few small steps!!

He still has problems getting up and sitting down tho, but as far as I'm concerned it's a massive step in the right direction.

I know it's going to take a lot of time, but today has been a good starting point.

Just to think, after seeing the events unfold and having him not make much progress at the hospital - i was seriously convinced that this was the end and I was possibly going to have to say goodbye to him over the next couple of days.

How wrong was I?

That is fantastic news.....it may be a long road ahead but that sounds like a very good start. I am so happy for you :)

Keep us posted with your progress reports.

That is great!!! It will take some time but your boy will reward you with a love that you cannot imagine.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

So glad to see your update!

Don't get discouraged if there are some times of a little step backward or a plateau. From what I have seen, slow and steady wins this race. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

That is excellant....

I forgot to mention...after a couple of weeks of being home I did pursue acupuncture with Rascal. It seemed to improve his healing....

Good thoughts for you both...

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

:confetti

What is your boy's name? Do you have pics? I take back asking for pics. You're busy doing more important stuff.

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Wonderful news! I hope he continues to improve every day.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown