Obedience Training, When To Start?

Guest Lygracilux

Guest Lygracilux

We've had Fusion a little over a month. He has settled in very very well.

I was wondering when to start some obedience training with him.

So far he has picked up the daily routine obedience such as "wait", "Fusion, come", "go lay" (he goes and lays in his spot when we're eating or something) and "no, no". We have used a clicker for some of these.

I'd like to start working on some sit, stay, lay down.

Should I keep working on the basics that he already is getting the hang of, or jump right into it?

No idea where to start or what to teach first with a Grey.

start looking into obedience clubs and training facilities. avoid petco and sites like that, you want a place that is apdt or A.K.C. certified. the fall semesters have just started, so you may have to wait until the next round, the timing should be good. observe, talk to trainers and an experienced trainer using positive reinforcement should do the trick, it doesn't have to be a "greyhound person".

http://www.apps.akc.org/apps/events/obedience/training_clubs/index.cfm?action=search_state&state=MA

https://apdt.com

Why not enroll in a basic obedience class with a trainer who uses force-free/reward based training methods? It will allow you to train in the presence of distractions and will help increase your bond with your dog. You may even be able to find a clicker training class if that's your preference. Some good articles on how to choose an appropriate trainer:

Scroll down to Jean Donaldson's 3 questions if you don't want to read the whole thing

http://avsabonline.org/uploads/position_statements/How_to_Choose_a_Trainer_(AVSAB).pdf

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I just wanted to add that we did the Petsmart training and had a really good experience. However, we met with the trainer beforehand and verified that she uses only positive reinforcement. We just skipped the sit and she tailored the class to us whenever we wanted to. Just our experience.

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com

It's never too early or too late to start obedience training. I agree about finding an obedience club or individual trainer who uses positive reinforcement. I'm sure there are plenty of videos on youtube that would provide examples of training methods so that you can decide which one would suit you and Fusion. I wish I had listened to a fellow "dog person" a hundred years ago as she extolled the virtues of obedience training and suggested that I try it instead of waiting until 8 years ago.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest Johberry

I had been pondering the same thing about our hound and decided we need basic obedience for him. Lately, I did some research on positive-reinforcement dog trainers in my area and found one that offers group classes at a local dog boutique. We plan on checking it out this Sunday and if we like what we see, we'll probably end up enrolling our boy.

Like cleptogrey mentioned, fall classes have already started and are fully-booked especially in our case so we have to enroll in the DEC-JAN cycle.

Although it helps to look at online reviews for different facilities and trainers, what narrowed it down for me was certification, positive reinforcement claims, and the ability to see a class and therefore check out methods before committing. Good luck on your search. :)

You're training a dog! Nothing special about Greyhounds when it comes to plain old obedience training. Some people will say that sitting is difficult for them--and while they may not sit in the same manner is "regular" dogs, you can teach them to sit, and you can use the same methods you'd use for any other dog.

You can go to a class, if you like, or buy a book. The key is keeping the lessons short and being consistent.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest normaandburrell

I started Iceman two weeks ago. He has just turned 3, and I have had him 4 months. It is not a puppy class, but a basic manners and obedience class, given at a local dog training club. I made sure the trainers used positive reinforcement only. He is the only greyhound I have seen there, at least so far.

It has worked out great. I didn't think Iceman would sit, but with the right encouragement, he actually does. He takes a little longer than the other dogs, and he doesn't stay down as long, so I just adjust my commands. I have him do stay at a down or a stand instead of a sit. The trainers are very flexible. They told me they have had other greys that were too uncomfortable sitting, and they just skipped that command.

At any rate, Iceman really seems to be enjoying the classes, and bonding even more with us over the homework and the associated treats. I look forward to the classes as well. So good luck with your hound.

I just do training around the house, and vary it up. Some things Teague knows well, others he is just learning. We mix things up between easy behaviours and newer ones, I don't wait until certain ones are mastered before trying new ones. I also use a clicker, so sometimes I just go with the flow of what he is doing. I don't worry or stress, I consider it just a fun and stimulating activity. He has learned different tricks and commands, but has yet to master "sit" or "down." :P

Mercury and I started classes after he'd been with us about 6 weeks. I figured a month was enough time to adjust.

The rest of the class can't get over how calm he is and how well he "stay"s. I just shake my head. Let's see. they've got a 5 month old lab puppy (all feet and appetite) and can't believe how calm an adult, neutered, ex-racing greyhound is. Half the time I just pretend he's exceptionally well mannered (rather than point out that he's named for the God of Thievery for a reason and comes with his own challenges). :-)

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound