Hello From Western Washington State

Guest Katya1987

Guest Katya1987

Hi there,

We (my husband and I) are new to greyhounds, and will be getting our first greyhound from Royal Hounds here in Western Washington some time in early to mid-January. To get us prepared, we are reading as many books and following this forum to learn as much as possible before the big day arrives.

Having both grown up with dogs, we know the basics of bringing a dog home, but because we have a 4 year old cat and a young child, we are especially interested in learning about the best tips and tricks concerning greyhounds in households with cats and children, so any advice is very welcomed! 😃

Also, is there anyone here who lives in Western Washington state (North of Seattle) who has any recommendations for greyhound savvy vets, safe enclosed places to run a hound, and meet-ups in the area?

Welcome to GT! So exciting to be preparing for a greyhound! I remember those days very well.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Welcome...hope the wait goes by quickly.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Hello and Welcome!

If you do a search in Training and Behavior there should be plenty of threads with advice about introducing cats and children to greyhounds. Also your group should be able to give you some tips to make the transition easier. Books by Patricia McConnell are good for general training, too.

Unfortunately, all the people I know in that part of Washington aren't on Greytalk or are on very infrequently. Watch your groups website for info on events and get-togethers.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest greyhound_in_LA

You didn't mention how old your child is, but you have to start training them in toddlerhood to respect a dog's space and to learn dog body language. There's plenty of cute illustrations online on how not to greet a stranger or unfamiliar dog.

Even a bombproof Greyhound has limits.

You just have to be aware of the possible issues. For example, sleep startle is a reflex, and it may happen! Space issues and aggression is another. Don't go the dog's bed or crowd him if he's uncomfortable with that, and he will growl to tell you you've crossed his comfort zone. In the beginning, my husband petted our Greyhound too long while he was already lying on his doggie bed trying to rest, and my husband got growled at.

Join us on the Facebook group too!!!

Guest Katya1987

Thank you for the warm welcomes!

You didn't mention how old your child is, but you have to start training them in toddlerhood to respect a dog's space and to learn dog body language. There's plenty of cute illustrations online on how not to greet a stranger or unfamiliar dog.

Even a bombproof Greyhound has limits.

You just have to be aware of the possible issues. For example, sleep startle is a reflex, and it may happen! Space issues and aggression is another. Don't go the dog's bed or crowd him if he's uncomfortable with that, and he will growl to tell you you've crossed his comfort zone. In the beginning, my husband petted our Greyhound too long while he was already lying on his doggie bed trying to rest, and my husband got growled at.

Join us on the Facebook group too!!!

Thank you for bringing this up. It is definetly a concern we had when we first decided to adopt a greyhound. I just got done reading "Childproofing Your Dog..." By Brian Kilcommons and Sarah Wilson, as well as "Adopting the Racing Greyhound" by Cynthia Branigan. Those books also mentioned these issues, and we are working with our little one now, with the help of a good neighbor who lets us come to their house and work with her around their dog, to help acclimate her to how to treat dogs, so hopefully she will be ready for our new family member come January. We are also investing in a crate that I plan to put up in December, so she will be used to the fact that it is not hers, and she cannot go in it or play with it. Same with the dog beds too. :-)

Does anyone here have experience taking their greys to a Petsmart training class? I am planning on starting a class with our grey once we get him or her home, and because this one is very close and convenient I thought I might try Petsmart... I took up to Advanced level there with my childhood ACD many years ago, and it was a lot of fun, but I know Greyhounds are a bit sensitive and I wondered if they learnt well in the busy setting of a pet store... I thought this would help with bonding, and since we have a young child, I thought it was important that the dog get special alone time as well as learn some basic commands.

Guest greyhound_in_LA

I haven't tried any Petsmart or Petco training classes because there are way too many distractions in the store. The training area is tiny at Petco. Tiny! And it's right near the dog item aisles. There are just too many distractions with people, dogs, birds screeching, etc.

The local Humane Society underwent an expansion, and it has a really big training room now. They run all sorts of classes there (with size limits). That'd be the first place where I'd check.

Guest Katya1987

Hi. I'm in northwestern Washington as well. I don't have a greyhound now, but i have seen this group at dog events and even bought a 'black greyhounds ROOOOL! T-shirt from them. They may be able to give you some hands-on help when you get your hound.

Thanks for the link. I am definitely going to check them out.

[/size]www.greyhoundpetsinc.org

I haven't tried any Petsmart or Petco training classes because there are way too many distractions in the store. The training area is tiny at Petco. Tiny! And it's right near the dog item aisles. There are just too many distractions with people, dogs, birds screeching, etc.

The local Humane Society underwent an expansion, and it has a really big training room now. They run all sorts of classes there (with size limits). That'd be the first place where I'd check.

Thanks for the advice. Yes, Petsmart was very loud and busy when I went with my parents ACD many years back. I liked that they used only positive reinforcement... But I can see where that might be overwhelming for a more sensitive tempered dog.

I have scanned some of the older posts about crate sizes to see what the general consensus was on crate size. My guess, from talking with the agency I am working with, is that we will most likely get a male, because they tend to be more tolerant with children, so I am planning on buying a crate on the upper end of the range, so if we get a big guy he will have plenty of room. Does anyone here have or know of a nicer looking crate out there that is greyhound sized? I really like the idea of having a wooden one that could be used as an end table as well, plus they look more pleasant. Any one know where to find one like this in white?

Another question about supplies I have is that I am debating is whether to purchase an elevated feeder or not...some things I have read have said that elevated feeders reduce bloat...others say it contributes to it... I can't tell whether they are a good choice or not. I really like the Neater Feeder, which can also be purchased with legs to make it taller. Anyone have thoughts on whether to get elevated or not?

Thanks again to everyone who has responded to my post. I just got through telling my husband that I've never seen a friendlier forum. It's exciting to know that soon we will be part of a very cool group of people out there: people who are ruled by a greyhound :-)

You won't know until you get your dog if the Petsmart classes will be an option or not. Some greys I have had would NOT do well in that environment, but others would be just fine. My advice is to take him/her into the store a few times before deciding.

Crate size - You want the dog to be able to stand up and turn around, this is the one we have

http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Stages-Double-Door-Folding-Inches/dp/B0002AT3MO/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1413736211&sr=1-1&keywords=dog+crate+48%22

The one's that are made of wood are significantly more expensive. And to get one big enough, you probably wouldn't want to use it as an end table!

Raised feeders are going to be your choice. Most research now indicates genetics play a larger roll in bloat than anything else. IMO, most greys look like giraffes trying to eat off the ground without a raised feeder. Even a short rise will help them eat a bit better.

Greyhound ownership is like joining a cult!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Welcome! Agree with the "yes" to raised feeder and "depends on the hound" to a busy obedience training site. Also agree with "too big for an end table" on crate size. But I've seen a couple of people put tables over a crate. One was a counter-height table used as a credenza against a wall. The other was one was against the back of a sofa in an open-plan room. Both helped make the big crate much less noticeable and relatively space efficient.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest Katya1987

You won't know until you get your dog if the Petsmart classes will be an option or not. Some greys I have had would NOT do well in that environment, but others would be just fine. My advice is to take him/her into the store a few times before deciding.

Crate size - You want the dog to be able to stand up and turn around, this is the one we have

http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Stages-Double-Door-Folding-Inches/dp/B0002AT3MO/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1413736211&sr=1-1&keywords=dog+crate+48"

The one's that are made of wood are significantly more expensive. And to get one big enough, you probably wouldn't want to use it as an end table!

Raised feeders are going to be your choice. Most research now indicates genetics play a larger roll in bloat than anything else. IMO, most greys look like giraffes trying to eat off the ground without a raised feeder. Even a short rise will help them eat a bit better.

Greyhound ownership is like joining a cult!

Thanks Greysmom. I didn't know they made the crates with two doors. Thanks for that link. I contacted a couple of companies today, but I think your right...most places that make wooden end table crates don't make them that large. :-( I did find some crate cover companies that make it look a little less industrial in the living room. I put in some emails and calls, but it does look like anything that large would need to be done custom and would be crazy expensive...

Thanks for telling me about the elevated feeders, it looks from what I looked at today, that research that suggested bloat was caused by elevated feeders might be outdated...at any rate, I can certainly believe that it would probably be uncomfortable for a grey to have to reach down to eat! That giraffe analogy had me laughing :-)

Welcome! Agree with the "yes" to raised feeder and "depends on the hound" to a busy obedience training site. Also agree with "too big for an end table" on crate size. But I've seen a couple of people put tables over a crate. One was a counter-height table used as a credenza against a wall. The other was one was against the back of a sofa in an open-plan room. Both helped make the big crate much less noticeable and relatively space efficient.

Hi EllenEveBaz,

The table over the crate seems like an interesting idea. My plan was to put the crate in this nook where the couches meet. This way our hound has a little privacy if he/she needs a break from our daughter, but he/she can still like they are in the room. It faces our large patio back window, so I figured this would also provide plenty of sight seeing if we leave the house. I am so surprised that they don't make furniture for larger dogs...anything past 60 lbs is no mans land where style is concerned :-(

My next question is since greyhounds lack very much padding, what crate bedding does everyone recommend? I've been told that Costco is great for dog beds, but is I am assuming that this type of bed won't fit well in the crate. My parents use a fleece crate pad for their ACD, but I dont think that is enough padding for a greyhound...

Edited by Katya1987