Sign in to follow this  
Guest KTPrime

How Do You Know If Your Hound Needs Jammies?

Guest KTPrime

So, I feel guilty because I'm always seeing super cute happy greyhounds wearing jammies and sweatshirts... but Optimus really only wears his winter coat once it gets below 40 outside for walks. Even then, he's never seemed uncomfortable in the cold outside, but I had read that once it drops colder than that, they need a jacket.

Once in a while if the house is kind of cold I'll notice his ears are cold and I'll try to cover him up with a fleece blanket--which he is totally against. He seems to overheat quickly and always wants to get out from under blankets. I'm worried if I put him in pajamas to sleep in, he'll get too hot but won't be able to get out of them. But I'm always worried he's secretly cold! We live in the DC metro area so it can get kind of cold in winter but we usually keep the thermostat around 72-74 (I'm always cold myself).

How/when did you decide to get your hounds jammies? Is it a senior thing? Optimus just turned 7, but I'm refusing to call him a senior yet....

My dogs hate the cold. If we go for a walk and it's below about 5C I can see them shivering and they look miserable. In their warmest winter gear they're good to about -15 or -20 and then even with multiple layers I can again see them acting miserable and shivering. In the house it depends on how cool we keep it. If I put them in jammies and they start panting they're too warm and I take them off. If they're not panting, ears aren't warm, and belly skin isn't pink then they are good.

Try not to over analyze. If his ears are cool and he curls up when he sleeps then he might be cold and you can try jammies. If you put jammies on and he pants then he's too warm. :)

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

My dog's wear jammies in the winter. We keep the house at 68 degrees. When it gets to 40 degrees they wear their light fleece coats on walks. When it gets down to about 30 degrees, they wear the heavier fleece coats. Under 30 degrees they wear their heavy winter coats.

Our jammies come from Loved Hounds.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

All greys are different. Mine doesn't mind the cold, he gets hot and will pant if he has a thin coat on and in freezing temps. I only put a coat on if it is in the 20's or below.

Oddly enough, Teague loves his jammies though. I never thought he would need them, but I definitely notice he isn't as restless in the winter when he wears them. On chilly mornings he used to be up early and whining, but with his jammies on he seems to sleep in longer. My house is around 67 or lower at night though, if it was 72 + he would definitely be hot.

I bet if you keep your house that warm that Optimus is fine. Our Ruby is a cold-girl and loves her jim-jams... we keep our house cold at night (60-62) so we know she loves being snugged-up in her fleece over night. But when our house is 70+ there is no need.

Under 40 she'll have her lighter coat on outside, and once it's below 30 I have a thicker coat with a turtle-neck for her.

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Your house is pretty warm. If your dog is constantly nesting or covering his nose, he is cold. I make flannel, cotton knit and light fleece house coats. I used to make them for customers, but, not for my dogs. I thought they didn't need them. Well, the dogs love sleeping in them and line up to put them on at night. They are more comfortable and sleep better, as do I.

www.houndtime.com

Irene Ullmann w/Shine and Odin in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul and Fuzzy
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

well here in the land of palm trees and sunshine... Conrad has not yet been with us long enough for Jammies. But I think the warm weather most of the year makes our Greys easier to be affected with the cold so when I put on long sleeves or a jacket he will get a jacket { I consider jammies the ones with the front legs included} and when it RAINS {okay for the rest of you that is a minor drizzle} I will put on a rain coat. I live on a hill and it can get windy, so the coat always went on Queen,so I will do the same for Conrad, unless he seems to get hot...not likely... :hehe his outside bed is in a windbreak so I get more of the wind than him. As with Queen we stay out in the back yard for a couple hours in the morning and afternoon

My boy does curl up like a deer often but not from cold, and when he does roach, it only lasts for a couple of seconds, more roll over and then back on his side. :gh_run2

Desi is a cold-weather man. He has 2 coats, but doesn't wear them until it's below 20. And then only because I insist. I tried.....believe me I tried. I loved looking

at coats, measuring coats, picking fabric for coats........put a coat on him in 40 degrees & he pants the whole walk. I keep my home at 66 because I'm a cheapskate

and he is fine. But then in the summertime, I have to keep the a/c on frigid to keep him comfortable.

Seriously, if your boy kicks off his blankie, then he's fine & probably doesn't need (or want) jammies. No matter how cute.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

You've already solved whatever problem/guilt feelings you have about jammies. You said Optimus heats up quickly and tosses off blankets. He doesn't need jammies. Don't compare your boy or actions to the actions of other Greyhounds and owners. Every dog and parent is different. You know him better than anyone else so trust your instincts about him.

My Annie *hates* wearing clothes in the house, so no jammies for her. In the winter at night the thermostat is set at 60, which is usually fine with her unless it's very windy or extremely cold outside and then she likes having a blanket thrown over her.

She does wear coats outside in the cold weather but I don't define cold by the temperature. If it's 30 degrees with a bright sun and no wind, Annie goes out nekkid because she'd be panting in a hundred feet if wearing a jacket. It can be 40 degrees, very cloudy and windy and I'll start the walk out with a coat on her knowing I'll take it off if she starts panting.

So my suggestion regarding a coat in the winter is consider all weather conditions of the day and keep an eye on him. If he starts to pant, he's too hot and take the coat off.

Edited by Feisty49

I live in the DC metro area too. Our girls have lightweight cotton knit jammies for cool nights and fleece jammies for cold nights. But it all depends on how warm your house is and if they seem cold. Our girls seem to sleep better with jammies and sometimes I even have to get up and cover them with a fleece blankets during a cold winter night. But it really does depend on the dog.

gallery_22163_3545_11448.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls Beka (BM Beko) and Ivy (Carolina Spoon)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) - you are forever in our hearts.

We put PJ's on the dogs the other night as it was like the Dr Who weeping angels at bedtime, all dogs in beds so we get into our bed, turn off light & 1 or more dogs creeps onto the bed. After a few nights of shifting dogs about and then waking up cold as furry lump has stolen most of the bed & duvet, I eventually figured they must be getting cold. Pru doesn't like wearing coats indoors so just threw a blanket over her, but all stayed put till morning.

I've only had one dog that liked to be covered up and liked pajamas. That was my galgo, Cruz. At first, I would cover him at night in the winter time and he would wake me up crying for me to re-cover him during the night. :) I finally borrowed some pajamas from a friend whose greyhound hated them, and Cruz LOVED them! He slept through the night and was as happy as a clam. He would actually come to me before bedtime and poke me with his cold nose until I put his pajamas on him. My other galgo and all my retired racers have not liked to be covered and haven't seemed to mind cold weather.

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest elizabeth7418

Addy seems to be very tolerant of the cold when we're outside. She flat out hates wearing her winter coat and will often refuse to go to the bathroom while wearing it. She's much happier going out either naked or in her light fleece jammies. I didn't think she needed, or would like them, until my mom made a matching set for her grey and Addy. Addy was much less restless at night when wearing the jammies. We keep our house pretty cool, so she wears them almost 24/7 in the winter and seems very comfortable.

Sometimes you don't know until you try.

I love seeing pics of greyhounds in jimjams! They look so CUTE! Especially the four-legged type. :blush But all of mine have aboslutely hated wearing them, and forget the four-leg ones. None of them want to bend their legs that much! They are all panting and too hot by 1am, and there I am trying to wrestle off jammies when I'm half asleep!

Same for coats. I have a coat for each of them, but unless it's super windy, ice pellets or below zero I don't bother. When they get cold, they run up on the deck and let us know it's time to go back inside.

Chris - Mom to: Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Lilly, and Felicity ( DeLand )

35764734494_93de5b5963_b.jpg

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), and Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby),

generally the low 50s- we camp a lot and found out that they were really essential. our house is 60 at night, so our dogs wear jammmies and we throw a blanket over them so WE can sleep and not hear cold dogs pacing about.

Edited by cleptogrey

Each dog is different. Bu lets me know once it's in the 60's that he needs pjs. Sailor doesn't seem to need them, but doesn't mind as long as he doesn't get hot.

Guest chickenpotpie

if your dog is happy without them, then there's no need to worry, and think of the money you're saving!!

in the winter, our house gets in the low 50's at night, 65-68 during the day. My office is always way colder because I'm in the basement. Lucky (mommy's lil princess) not only likes wearing clothing anyway, but she especially loves her jammies and blankies. I made her a summer weight blankie because she was damn near cooking herself trying to get under the other ones. :hehe When she's in mommies office she has to wear something.

Lucky doesn't exhibit signs of getting hot unless its over 79F degrees.

Guest Scouts_mom

I have used PJs on very elderly dogs (teenagers) and sick dogs--they seem to feel the cold more than younger dogs. None of mine have been interested in wearing Pjs when they were younger (I keep the house at 65 degrees).

If your house is 74 (which is where I keep mine) he should be fine. We don't do jammies here and all the greys have had one fleece coat for near freezing walks and such. Remember your dog probably grew up in Kansas or Oklahoma outside 24/7 with a communal dog house with straw in it. There is something to be said for farm coats but a healthy greyhound mostly need a coat for his/her owner's amusement.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Of my four, working in degrees Celcius. Brandi has jammies on at night and a jacket on indoors during the day any time the temperature is under about 22/23 degrees (so at 71/72 degrees). Benny, my senior, is a little better - at 20 degrees he gets his on, but he is covered up every night and loves it - he never moves. Brandi moves from under blankets but sleeps sound in others. Paige seems to have cold ears a lot but detests blankets and jammies and coats, so she only has them on if its below 16 degrees. Hermon doesn't have them on unless its down around 11 or 12. And he sulks even then. Don't ask me about the ratio of blankets to doonas, or how it depends which bed their in so they can have a den vs being tucked in, or the double weight vs single weigh jammies and coats.

In short, there's no one right way..

Guest bmerenick1

Ozzie LOVES his PJ's. He comes running when we get them out and requires a thorough but rub after we put them on :)

superoz%201221_zpsfdmjtcur.jpg