Recommend A Rear Leg Support/harness For Walking?

Guest AndyK

Hi lovely Grey people :)

I'm looking to buy something for my old lady Misty to help her support her back legs when she walks. She doesn't need it quite yet but I'm trying to pre-empt it so I'm ready when she does.

I've seen various devices online like harness things for the backlegs which you hold whilst they're walking. I'm feeling a bit bewildered with the choice!

Has anyone used one they could recommend?

Ideally it would perhaps be one where she can have it on most of time - indoors as well, in case she's struggling.

I've seen people using something like one of these but their dogs look really awkward and uncomfortable with them and they don't seem to go more than about 20 yards with them either. What we used to do when our old Great Dane was going off her back legs was to always remember to take an old college scarf to help lift her up and keep her walking as necessary. In the meantime enlist your dog in hydrotherapy sessions to help retain muscle mass and ligament health.

I realize you are across the pond, but Carol Becker makes a great light weight support that the dog can leave on al the time. I think she has an etsy store? Will try to come up with the link and post it later if someone doesn't beat me to it. The Ruffwear harness is also good, but more cumbersome, and I wouldn't leave it on all the time. I have used both.

Here's a link to a thread about Carol Becker's (GodsGreyts) harness, which was wonderful for dear Nutmeg.

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/308822-swimsuit-edition/?hl=tankini

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest normaandburrell

I didn't respond earlier because I was waiting to see if others answered. We ordered a harness from Dr. Foster and Smith (they have a web site). We really liked the front harness. Even though our boy's problem was with a rear leg, the front harness helped us support him and keep some weight off the rear leg. It comes with a rear harness that we were going to use if he got worse. He didn't seem to like it as well, but he would tolerate it.

I have a Help Em Up harness http://helpemup.com/ that I used when my Zephyr and just come home from a neurological emergency and could barely walk. With it I was able to get him up and down stairs and help him walk on uneven ground all by myself. I really like how it has the back harness and both the front and back fit well.