Best Flea Protection?

Guest goheen222

Guest goheen222

We are fairly new greyhound owners; we adopted our girl Ali in January of this year. We live in the midwest and fleas and ticks are in full swing by the early summer. We decided not to spend any money this year on flea prevention and fortunately, we did not see a single flea until she had a short stay at the vet's office for a dental back in August. Since then, we've seen them here and there, but it seems now like they're multiplying. We've given her multiple baths and we've treated all the carpets in our house with Borax. The baths seem to help for about a week and then she's scratching again. I'm so scared to give her any flea medication because it's hard for them to metabolize it and it builds up in their blood stream. I once owned a Boxer who had a bad reaction to Comfortis and eventually died from it, so pills definitely scare me! What is everyone's recommendation for prevention? Fleas are becoming resistant to Frontline in our area, so that's out of the question.

Thanks!

-Tara

Frontline doesn't work here either, we've had no trouble since switching to Trifexis.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I use K9 Advantix II (it covers more tick species than any others). I've also used Revolution and Advantage. Advantix II is the "greasiest" one of them all, I find, but we travel into the US a lot and I want the tick protection. A lot of people also use the Preventic collar along with a product which just does fleas.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest Muscovy

We used Comfortis when we briefly had a foster with an awful flea problem. I've only used it twice though. What's the issue with Comfortis? We've never really had fleas so I don't know anything about the different treatments.

Guest goheen222

We gave it to our dog and it worked for about two weeks, then quit working. After we gave it to him, he became very weak and eventually started losing control of his bladder in the house. He was completely trained before, and had never had a mess in the house, not even as a puppy. We would take him outside to relieve himself and within an hour or so of being back inside, he would accidentally urinate on himself. He stopped eating his dry food and we had to start feeding him all wet food. We got tests done at the vet and they couldn't find anything. One night he became very weak and he vomited clear fluid. And then he vomited again and it was blood the second time. The vet was already closed for the night so I was trying to figure out what to do. Within an hour of vomiting the first time, he had walked into one of our bedrooms and I found him on the floor, dead. He was only four years old.

Edited by goheen222

Guest Lygracilux

Every dog is different.

My mothers Iggy was on Trifexis, and he had a severe reaction to it. His skin turned red and flaky, and his fur fell out. So she got him Frontline Plus and it works great.

My vet put Fusion on Sentinel, and he hasnt shown any reaction towards it at all.

Goodluck!

To help combat the greasiness of the topical, I have learned to apply it in many... many... many spots. I find that helps a lot. A couple of days later, I'll also use a made-for-dogs "dry shampoo and scenting" powder, rub it in, brush it out. That helps a lot, too.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance