Emergency Splenectomy

Guest babyphoenix

Guest Muscovy

Hope your boy's doing better today. My Ted didn't handle the fentanyl well at all (it zonked him out completely) so we switched him to Tramadol too. He was much better on Tramadol, but it was a different situation and he didn't have the vomiting that Phoenix has had.

Fingers crossed you can bring him home :)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest babyphoenix

thank you all for the good thoughts and even more advice!

I went to tuck him in last night at about 9:30 and they did have him up and walking into the room to visit, which I've not seen him do yet and he's not done a whole lot of in general. A little wobbly and happy to lay down to rest after the commute :)
He was still VERY out of it.

Overnight vet called this morning to update. She took him off the lidocaine iv to see what would happen with his arrhythmias because he'd been doing well. They did come back so that is still a concern. Hasn't really eaten anything but also hasn't done any regurgitating either so that was a better sign. Diarrhea has also lessened considerably.

Going in this morning to meet with the day (Dr. Day) vet. He's the one that seemed optimistic about getting him home today. Overnight vet (Dr. Lovejoy. These names make me feel like I'm in a soap opera) is less so. I'm interested to see what Dr. Day thinks after having spent the day with Phoenix yesterday.

Meeting with him around 10am (central). I'll report back. Fingers crossed, everyone!

At least there are small improvements. Good thoughts for a better day. The vet names are a hoot. (And a lot better than BF's docs who are [i kid you not] Drs. Hurt, Payne, & Ow [pronounced "O"], all in different practices)

Your comment about the lidocaine drip reminded me of Daniel's situation. They took him off & the prob returned. Put him back on temporarily then tried again. No return of arrhythmia. Hoping for something similar with your boy.

:goodluck :goodluck

Guest babyphoenix

Dr. Day said he's off lidocaine for now and has backed way down on the morphine he was on (I had thought he was on fentanyl? they'd told me that at one point but maybe they switched it?) to encourage appetite to come back. Still not eating but hoping once the pain meds work their way out appetite will return. Also took him off the Amicar (he'd been on it since directly after surgery) because Dr. Day suspects it was causing the extreme diarrhea. I'm hoping that is okay. :/

He's lost a LOT of weight :(

I did get to take him out for a short cruise around the yard. He's a bit wobbly but does have a bounce in his step. He also tried to go to the car.

We're reevaluating this afternoon for possible discharge later today.

Any questions/clarifications you think I should be getting at this point?

You all have been immensely helpful and I (we) so appreciate it.

Edited by babyphoenix

Best advice is to have a think and write down any concerns or questions you have because it's so easy to forget when you're actually there.

I'd be asking about meds; what time of day, whether with food or not, why he's on each drug and how long for. What to look out for as signs of concern; eating, drinking, bladder and bowels as well as alertness etc. Exercise - I know he's not up to any right now, but you'd be surprised how that can change. I'd be expecting to give several small meals a day to encourage appetite and to help get some weight back on, and I'd be expecting him to sleep an awful lot for a while yet. As for stopping the Amicar, trust your vet. It's vital in some circumstances and with some dogs, but it does have some fairly hair-raising potential side-effects, so if Dr Day feels it's best to stop it, it probably is. The immediate need for it is past, since it's several days since the op and he is (presumably) not known to have a bleeding disorder.

Ask if he needs lifting up and down stairs, in and out of the car etc. When he needs to go back for a check-up. Anything else you can think of. Certainly he'll need careful observation but also peace and quiet to recover in his own time, both physically and emotionally. He may be clingy, but equally he may want to hide away - if he does, don't feel he's upset with you, it's just what dogs do. :)

So pleased to hear that he's on the mend at last!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest babyphoenix

On schedule to pick him up tonite at about 7. They were nice enough to have the scripts called in to Costco which I hope will save us some cash. Total due is more than i spent on my first (used) car after college. :huh Thankfully they've been keeping us up to date on where we were with charges so it wasn't a total surprise but wowie-zowie. our initial estimates were 2500-3500 (when we'd started on a bloat diagnosis) and now we're at nearly 6k. oof. Thankful to have my guy coming home but that's a kick in the gut.

Now just hoping he continues to improve without complication. :hope

On schedule to pick him up tonite at about 7. They were nice enough to have the scripts called in to Costco which I hope will save us some cash. Total due is more than i spent on my first (used) car after college. :huh Thankfully they've been keeping us up to date on where we were with charges so it wasn't a total surprise but wowie-zowie. our initial estimates were 2500-3500 (when we'd started on a bloat diagnosis) and now we're at nearly 6k. oof. Thankful to have my guy coming home but that's a kick in the gut.

Now just hoping he continues to improve without complication. :hope

So pleased to hear he's doing well and the vets are being helpful. Great to hear he's coming hom! :thumbs-up

$6k is one heck of a slice of anyone's money, so I'm really sorry about that. Hopefully they will let you pay it off slowly. :(

Others have already mentioned -- you need to get AMICAR.

He's been on Amicar since the op, and has now been taken off it.

Guest babyphoenix

He's gone. And I am shattered into a million pieces.

Vet called me at about 5:45 saying that as they were prepping Phoenix to go home he started with the diarrhea again and was very concerned. Additionally the diarrhea was very dark in color, suggesting digested blood. Wanted to keep him to see if they could figure out what was going on. I said okay and I'd wait to hear the 8pm report.

He called back less than 30 minutes later saying the diarrhea was now just blood and that it was likely time to make big decisions. I asked if he thought we had time to wait for my husband who was coming from home an hour away. He was doubtful. I immediately left for the vet and arrived less than 10 minutes later. He wasn't able to get up so they took me directly in back to be with him. His breathing was slow and labored. I laid on the floor with him and cried for awhile and I could see he was fading quickly. I told him it was okay to go now and told the vet I was ready. She went to grab the meds and in that time he slipped away. I need to believe he waited for me.

I am empty. Shattered and emptied. That's the only way to describe it.

I started here on Greytalk back in 2003 when we first brought Phoenix home as a 12 week old pup, hence my name. I was very active in this community for many years, sharing pictures and stories. I shared in a lot of joy here...and heartaches too. Watching others struggle through difficult diagnoses and losses and wishing it was possible to take away the pain of my vitual friends and their beloved hounds, whom i had fallen in digital love with too.

We had children, life got busy and Greytalk faded to the background. I've been away, watching my children love these dogs and marveling the way these dogs made space in our home for the new babies. Phoenix, even at 11, was still a whole lot of puppy and we are doubly shell-shocked by today for it.
I had popped in a few years ago and my login no longer worked and it was so sad to me. A whole chapter of my life was kind of gone. Thankfully I was able to reclaim my name. I wasn't able to be around as much as I wanted but I'd peek in every now and then to see what everyone was up to.

I came back to Greytalk Saturday desperate for any help, advice or just prayers. And you guys delivered. I am eternally grateful. Grateful for your advice, your ideas, your virtual hugs. Stunned when I would log in first thing in the morning and see you already checking in on us and hoping for good news. You are incredible people. All of you. I will never forget the kindness and concern you showed for me and our hound. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Strangely, I rediscovered this photo just last week. It was a favorite from his first year with us, he's about 8 months old here.
My heart dog, Phoenix.
20141014_221147.jpg

Guest carriej

I am so sad for you.

I had a grey bleed out from a spleen growth that ruptured that we didn't know about, he was only 7 :(... We found out what was going on one day, and less than 24 hours later I was saying goodbye.

This is going to sound strange and I know you won't believe it now, but I promise it will get better. I remember the pain and drowning I felt last year. I lost both my greys at home in less than 2 months of one another, one to osteo and one to the spleen/bleed out. I don't even remember how I got through it, but I did, and you will too. It seems hard now, and while you will always miss them, the pain will eventually lessen. I waited a few months after the loss of my hounds to bring another grey home. I know some people do it very quickly (which may have been wiser) but I felt like I owed them something. So I ripped myself apart for months over it. I remember the first day we brought Chance home, was the first day that I didn't think about my lost hounds for hours on end.

I wish you healing, and peace of mind that you gave this grey a super awesome home where he was well loved. We always feel like it's too early to say goodbye, and we're never prepared for the day no matter if it comes at 7 or at 15 years. Cherish the memories.

Nooo ... ! I am so, so sad to read this horrible news. :cry1

It sounded so hopeful last night and I really thought I'd check in this morning to a good update. I am heartbroken too.

All I can say is that, in time, you will be able to look back and at least say 'I did everything I possibly could'. Believe me, that is worth more than I can say, when it comes to losing a beloved dog. Phoenix was one of the lucky ones - he got to live his whole life in a home where he was loved and cherished, every day. He knew how much he was loved, and no doubt that's why he hung on to say goodbye to you before slipping away. :grouphug

I'm so sorry. You loved him so much, and you did everything you could to help him through this.

Godspeed, sweet boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.