Maddie (Doobiesaurus) 5/5/02-9/12/14

Maddiesmom

Maddie (racing name Doobiesaurus) retired September 2005 from Palm Beach Kennel Club and was sent to GFNC loaded on a hauler in October 2005 to be put up for adoption. As a first time adopter I picked 3 1/2 yr old Maddie out after looking at two other greyhounds. She was a calm, quiet fawn girl who walked right up to a little girl and nudged her fingers for pets. After a few days of learning home-life it was time for me to go back to work. This is when I learned that Maddie had SA. Leaving her in a crate was not working as my little Houdini could escape from every crate I tried with her.

Dealing with a dog that has SA is part patience, part knowledge and mostly determination to succeed. Maddie & I tried Alone Training, TV & Kong’s, DAP Diffusers, and everything else we could. Finally we decided that I just needed to trust my instinct. Maybe ‘all’ greyhounds did not love their crate. So Maddie & I had a talk and with the help of my vet we decided to try medication, a muzzle, baby gates and trust. I came home that day to a happier quiet dog and an undisturbed house. Maddie had won her freedom.

Approximately 6 months of working on Maddie’s SA issues I heard about being a Therapy Dog and Maddie convinced me she could do it. I was worried about the 3minute separation required for the test but I should have known better. Maddie wanted to be certified as a Therapy Dog and she had not problems passing the test. Maddie you see has never met a stranger. This makes her excel at being a wonderful Meet & Greet dog. She leans on you and gives you that soulful look and people are emptying their pockets into the donation jar before they even realize it.

After getting her TDI certification we looked at ways to help in the community. A program called Tail Wagging Tutor was held at our local library and this seemed a perfect fit. Maddie loves kids and loves to lie down. The kids at the library all want Maddie to pick them so they can read to her. She is really good at building their self-esteem by giving them the “I am so proud of you” look that I swear she practices in the mirror when I am not home. Maddie also visits local assisted living facilities. .

I have heard of dogs who alert their owners to medical issue but never thought Maddie would do that for me. I had gone to the doctor for an issue and she basically gave me a nothing is wrong type answer. After that visit I noticed Maddie paying more attention to me and giving me a more through sniff test. This got me to thinking and I decided to listen to Maddie and my own feelings. I went for a second opinion and did indeed have something going on that required surgery.

Maddie became ill really fast this summer. At first, it was recurring UTIs, While on vacation in Nantucket I had to take her to the vet there. She got better and then got worse after a month or so. On September 11, she could not settle, down and was restless and could not potty. I took to the emergency vet and left her overnight not knowing what was coming. The next morning, the vet called and it was not good. Maddie had transitional cell carcinoma or bladder cancer. She was in pain and I knew that the time had come, I left work and was there. With her head on my lap, and me telling her how much I loved and It was ok to go. She went peacefully.

Thank you Maddie! Thank you for being there for others and for me. Your silly goofy self has brightened my day many times. Thank you for all you do for the kids at the library and at the assisted living facilities. And thank you for leading more people to greyhound adoption. I love you and miss you tons! I will always treasure the almost 9 years we had together, the many road trips and the famous taking an empty beer bottle off the counter and licking it, the chewing of the door at BBH 2007 and the rabbit you brought into the house after 2 months of being here and freaking me out. Who knew that the word "cookie" would get you to drop it so that the bunny would live. I miss the 5 pm barking for your dinner and I miss hearing it when I on the phone. Thank you for teaching me many things, patience, unconditional love and your companionship, and for opening up my world to greyhounds and the people that we have met. You will be missed by many.

Love, Mommy

MaddieBBH12_zps028cb16f.jpg

006_zps3a835352.jpg

002_zpsf57fcf88.jpg

553782_4406056758464_994889534_n.jpg

maddie308009-1-1.jpg

100_0012.jpg

BeachboundHounds2009011.jpg

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're so right that Maddie will be missed by many, including me. She has been one of my favorites here, and just seeing her lovely picture in your siggie could always lift my spirits right away! I'm so very sorry for your loss. :grouphug

:f_pink

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

What a beautiful and very special girl. I am so sorry for your loss.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

So beautiful a girl, and so beautiful a love you had for each other. I'm sorry she had to leave you.

Godspeed, Maddie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry for your loss of Maddie, Amy.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest PiagetsMom

I'm so very sorry. All of your pictures of Maddie are beautiful, but the last one of the two of you is very special. You shared wonderful years together during which you loved her well, and she gave you her love in return. Hold those in your heart when you think of Maddie and she will always be with you :grouphug

I am honored to have met Maddie. She was all the wonderful things you wrote and much more. :grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Amy, I am so sorry. Maddie gave so much of her heart to so many but none so much as what she gave to you, and you gave it right back. What a beautiful photo that is of the two of you sharing one of many special moments. My heart goes out to you. :grouphug

Godspeed Maddie, you are sorely missed.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Oh Amy, I'm so very sad to see this. She was a very special girl. I'm so sorry for your loss. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I'm so sorry for your loss. I too have always loved seeing Maddie's smiling face in your signature pic. Rest well, beautiful girl.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

So sorry you had to say goodbye to your beautiful Maddie. :grouphug

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting