Train To Not Jump

How do you train a greyhound to not jump when not on a leash? When I get home, Pogo goes crazy jumping. He is hard to even get a hold of sometimes. When I get home I can hear him getting excited and jumpy through the closed door. Anyone have advice?

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Can you gate him in a room away from the door? Then ignore him until he settles down. Once he is calm then quietly go over and greet him. If he starts jumping again walk away. Continue to do this until he is calm when you walk up to him. It takes time but it does work. If you are excited when you get home that will make him even more excited so try to act as if you coming home is no big deal and don't give him attention until he is calm.

Maybe change his name?

:flip

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Edited to give some real advice- at our Petsmart training class the instructor told us to turn our back to the dog and ignore him/her until they settle down. She said even yelling at them and telling them down is giving attention which is what they want.

Edited by NeedlenoseJake

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com

Unfortunately there is not a good way to block Pogo from the door. I do my best to ignore him. He is hard to ignore when he is waiting on the other side of the door when I come in. It has been a long long time since we had a big goofy boy. I am out of practice. Roy keeps reminding me of how Rhett was when we adopted him close to 15 years ago. I know it's going to take time to have Pogo act like a gentleman when someone comes home.

Roy actually picked the name Pogo for him since in addition to outright jumping, he pogos on his his front feet :flip

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Maybe change his name?

:flip

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Edited to give some real advice- at our Petsmart training class the instructor told us to turn our back to the dog and ignore him/her until they settle down. She said even yelling at them and telling them down is giving attention which is what they want.

I have to admit I thought the very same :rofl

The ignoring can work, but it does take time and patience. Does Pogo like toys? If so you could keep a special toy that you give to him only when you arrive home to distract him from jumping.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Guest normaandburrell

My first grey would jump on me when I got home. Since he would do it right when I hit the top of the stairs, it was very scary. Because the first time he did it, I shrieked and told him no very firmly, he stopped almost immediately.

Don't open the door until there's a momentary stop in the jumping. Then when you open the door and he starts jumping again either turn your back on him and ignore him completely, or even step back out and shut the door.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!