Poor Pup Wont Pee And Is Afraid Of Traffic-- Help.

Guest Miadog

Guest Miadog

Hi Greyhound lovers, Help:) Looking for some advice. I recently adopted a beautiful 5 years greyhound, Pluto, brought him home on Saturday to where I live on the beach directly off Pacific Coast Highway. He had been doing great the first few days, adapting to the condo, the beach and everything new. Until yesterday. He learned the stairs that go up and down to my condo entrance right away, but since yesterday, all of the sudden, he refuses to go up them. And its the only way in and out of my condo. And the only way he can get to the street (PCH) or anywhere else to the go to the bathroom. I help him up one foot at a time, but once we get to the top he immediately pulls hard to get back down to the condo. I really don't think it is the stairs, I think he has become terrified of the traffic on PCH. As he will gladly go up and down the stairs to the beach on the other side of my building. But now he refuses to go up and down from the condo or relieve himself alongside the road on PCH where the cars are driving by. He is super afraid. If I could take him to the beach every time to go to the bathroom, it would be fine. But I can't as the tides are not always low enough. Which means if he does not go alongside the road, he does not go. Its been since yesterday at 6:30pm since he went to the bathroom. I'm worried. Any advice on this? Any thoughts welcome. Thanks so much. Joe

Do you know anyone with a more confident greyhound who could help coax yours into going outside?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I know it would be a pain, but could you put him in the car and take him a block or two? Just for a week or so until he settles down. Maybe really smelly treats for a while..Bits of hotdogs or cheese or little pieces of Honest Kitchen Beams (cut them with scissors). Maybe too many news things happening at once. Just my thoughts.

Guest Miadog

I know it would be a pain, but could you put him in the car and take him a block or two? Just for a week or so until he settles down. Maybe really smelly treats for a while..Bits of hotdogs or cheese or little pieces of Honest Kitchen Beams (cut them with scissors). Maybe too many news things happening at once. Just my thoughts.

I think you are right-- it all might be too much. Him know that going up stairs is not always the "road" but other things, like the park or a drive to another beach. I like that-- thank you!

Do you know anyone with a more confident greyhound who could help coax yours into going outside?

I don't but this is a great idea too. I will ask a friend to come over who has a dog. Any dog might be helpful.

thank you.

Best,

Joe

Having your friend's dog pee outside may inspire your boy.

One of mine used to be very stubborn about going out and often would refuse to pee if there wasn't anyone else's pee to pee on. So my hubby......peed outside. ;)

BTW, love your boy's name of Pluto!

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chickenpotpie

it took me a quite a while to get Lucky used to traffic. Patience is really key. If you freak out about traffic, your pup is going to pick up on that. My other half is the freakout about it, (strange considering he grew up in Brooklyn!) and I tend to ignore it. Little by little I would take her down busy streets with LOTS of praise. I would start off with maybe 1/3 of the way and then back, then half way and back, then all the way. I know I looked crazy but better that than a scared pup. Now she hears trains at most her ears perk up.

I started off with me on the traffic side, but now, she walks on the traffic side. I'm sure some people with grasp their pearls but hey, service dogs do it all the time. Lucky has become a very confident dog from when we first got her and I certainly encourage it. buses, trucks, motorcycles(which she hated with a passion) no longer freak her out, even if they're right beside her.

Guest shanesmom

My Ace was a very fearful dog when I first got him 3 years ago. He didn't want to go outside at all. He could hear the freeway right behind the condo buildings but not see it. People were out kids on skateboards. He would freeze like a statue and it took forever to get him to finally sniff just to pee. Well he had to go out so I would just take him remain confident and praise like crazy when he would go (he was way too scared to take treats no matter what). He eventually just got over it with time and patience. You would never know he was ever afraid to be outside now. He loves his walks. Sometimes new fears pop up but it doesn't take as long for him to get over them like it used to. Just last week he suddenly became terrified to get in the van when ususlly he LOVES rides just because he heard the xpen rattle in the back the last time he was in it. I stopped the rattling and picked his butt up and put him in and took him to a couple of his favorite places like McDonald's for an ice cream cone. He got over it. Back to jumping right in. It does take time and lots of patience.

Guest libertybell75

I also have a little girl, 2 1/2 yrs old who was afraid of our yard, the traffic and when our other grey barked (just one yelp). We had to carry her outside and then the rescue squad would go by and she would run and hide in the bedroom. Her thyroid was .5 - a little below normal (greys are normally low). We started her on .6 solixane and we had a different dog in 24 hours. Hope this helps.