Who Else's Greyhound Goes Nuts While You Make Dinner?

Guest greyhound_in_LA

Guest greyhound_in_LA

Every time I need to stir-fry or brown some chicken, Coe goes bananas. He sniffs the air like mad and goes from room to room trying to locate the source. He even goes out on the balcony and sniffs around with his head raised high. It's comical!

I have a strict no-dog-in-the-kitchen-while I'm cooking rule. Strict as in - most of the time. Of course that means Diana stands JUST outside the kitchen and gives me THE EYES. If I go to the sink and rinse a dish - now we're not cooking we're cleaning up! In she comes. Out she goes. Now - if food hits the floor - all bets are off. I definatly think food on the floor is for immediate dog-cleanup! If it's hot off the stove I have to do the stand-over-and hold dog at bay pose until it cools a bit - then it's fair game. I've been told that I look "a bit" foolish doing this, and could probably just bend over and pick it up, wait, then give it to her, but what's the fun of that?

Coco must look like one of the Bisto Kids! (who used to advertise gravy in the UK, as shown here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bisto00.jpg)

Doc likes to watch me cooking, especially if there are delicious smells, but is happy to do it lying on a comfy rug in the living room which gives him an excellent view, straight through the kitchen doorway. This is known here as 'watching greyhound TV'!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Yup, I always have an audience when I cook. We have an open concept house so I can't keep them out when I'm preparing food.

Mo stands near her food dish looking pitiful (she has a medical condition so I can't feed her bits from the cutting board).
Beam is my very literal "sous chef" as he lies down on the carpet beneath my feet so I spend most of the time straddling him.
Uber calmly hangs out in the living room, but with a keen ear and eye trained on me should I suddenly hand out gifts to the other two.

This whole circus makes for interesting meal preparations every day.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

I have an audience :) I make Bella stay out of the kitchen, too - she can lie on the hallway runner (soft and cushy) or she can stand next to the island (which technically is *in* the kitchen but she's out of my way and she knows exactly where the invisible line is). Occasionally she gets morsels but the first thing we taught her was "leave it" so she doesn't take anything without an "ok" (due to living in NYC and seeing all manner of things on the street/sidewalk that a dog would like to pick up).

We have nights where we have to *remind* her several times to go "out" but she does know what it means.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mind having Aidan in the kitchen while I'm cooking since he never takes anything (even food that falls on the floor) without me handing it to him. He is like a brick wall though! Its hard to move around the kitchen sometimes because he refuses to move and I ended up just pushing him around as I need to get to places such as the sink or the fridge.

We have a babygate between living room and kitchen. Moonbeam is so into any meal happening that she nudges it, rests her head on it and gives the 'i love you and what you're making' eyes. All while Hattie paces and whines.

Keiva just sits back and chills. She knows food comes to her lol

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

Bisto Kid! :lol

Sid will come into the kitchen and lie down on the floor right behind me while I cook - that's between me and the fridge. It can be a bit awkward sometimes, but he's very well behaved and quiet, so I usually let him stay. I only move him if he's managed to get so close to the fridge that I can't open the door if I need to.

Jeff sometimes comes in to lie down next to Sid but he usually manages to be out of the way, probably because I drop things, too! I dropped a ladle right between his paws yesterday and he shot out of the room so fast, poor guy! He probably won't come in the kitchen for a week, now, whereas after the number of times Sid has had his backside clunked by the fridge door opening he still hasn't learned not to be so close to it!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest normaandburrell

I had a"no dogs in the kitchen rule" with my first grey, and he would peek around the corner at me while I cooked. My new boy will be right under foot unless I keep shooing him out. He was babygated in the kitchen at his foster home (who does that?), so it has been very difficult to train him to stay out of the kitchen at our house.

Guest chickenpotpie

The rule here is no one in the kitchen while I cook. Lucky will however hang out by any available doorway :hehe Even if I drop something on the floor, she won't eat it. I have to pick it up THEN give it to her. :flip That of course is unless its already at eye level, I've made that mistake this week, I won't do that one again.

I usually don't cook, but this last week I have been trying to use the crock pot, idea being to set it up before work and it should be done when I get home. The dogs don't go nuts when I am making it in the morning (not sure what they do during the day :-) but tonight they wouldn't eat their food (even with BilJac) until I put some leftover chicken from the crock pot on top. I may have created a monster...

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)