Please Help A New Adopter With Dietary Advice

Guest Muscovy

My grey has a delicate stomach and for whatever reason one thing might work for awhile and then not. I've tried low-end, high-end and home-cooked. His gas was horrible and BMs were just not fun to pick up. The best thing so far has been Hill's Prescription Diet i/d Canine Gastrointestinal Health. His output is perfectly firm and his gas is 99% gone. I crumble some Stella and Chewy's into it to jazz it up and encourage him to eat, since he's not generally food-motivated. I did have him on IAMS low residue/vet formula, but he was losing weight. Not a problem with Hill's.

Guest Muscovy

Thankyou to everyone! Pdxmoon - yep, hookworms are still a bit of a worry for me, even though his stools have improved. I still did a faecal sample though, to make sure. Just waiting on the results of all this tests (just baseline stuff and checking for parasites).

I've managed to wean him from chicken and rice onto Canidae with raw meat and chicken necks, and so far so good :) I think the chicken necks help, perhaps it's the bone?

I'm sorry for your loss tra708 - I can sympathise. I'm glad you've found love with Connie :) At the moment I'm still chain-smoking and worrying, but eventually me and my little guy will fall in love, I'm sure.

PS. The dandruff is already improving. I think it's just a combination of regular brushing (every other day), having a bath, and him shedding his winter kennel coat, because I haven't tried anything special, and only re-introduced half a tin of sardines into his diet yesterday.

Guest Muscovy

No evidence of worms in the vet test, so we're sticking to the dietary changes. I know he might still have worms, and if the D comes back I'll have him tested again and treat anyway.

Well, I've figured out how to post pics, so here he is :) His racing name was Wee Laddie, and we've just been calling him Laddie, but I sometimes wonder if he thinks his name is Good Boy. Hah.

imagejpg1_zps5ba49386.jpg