Just Got Our First Greyhound.

Guest Gestu60

Guest Gestu60

Hello from Elkhart, IN. We just adopted our first greyhound after looking for a long time. Her name is Rose and she's 5 years old. No one was adopting her because of her age. The people that passed her by made a big mistake because she is so sweet and calm. We can tell she is still nervous but she is coming around. Our only issue so far is that she doesn't want to eat from her bowl. If we hand feed her she's eats. We have had her for 4 days. We would appreciate any tips.

:welcome2

can't wait to see pics :)

for the feeding problem; does her dog tags or collar touch the bowl when she is eating in it? if it's in metal maybe she does not like the noise it makes..

does the bowl in a raised feeder?

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

Guest normaandburrell

I had similar problems with the first two dogs I had. One needed to be hand fed for two weeks, and the other for .

]'

two days before they would eat on their own. Try handfeeding just a mouthful or two, then if she seems willing to put her head into the bowl and eat on her own, just hold the bowl. Progress slowly toward just holding the bowl and then eventually to putting it down once she is eating comfortably. Once you put the bowl down, walk away. With my first grey, whenever he had a major upset of some type, I had to hold the bowl for a meal or so until he was eating again. When they first come into your home, they are nervous. Some need a little more reassurance than others.

Rose is a beautiful name for a dog. Isn't it a shame that people think 5 years is too old to adopt. Good for you in not passing up her up.

If I were in your shoes, each day I'd decrease the amount of food that is hand fed and leave the rest in her bowl, and, of course, show her where it is. She may skip a meal or two, but she'll eventually eat.

Guest Gestu60

Update on Rose. She is eating and using the yard potty. Seems to be getting happier everyday. Gives lots of kisses and huggs. We are thrilled. Thanks to all for your input. We are camping and she seems very relaxed

Congratulations on your new girl, Rose. It sounds like she's coming along nicely. Post some picture of her when you can. :)

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Our boy turned 6 right after we got him! Anyone who passed him by sorely missed out, he's a hunk-a, hunk-a burnin' love.

(Seriously, Shadow has a fan club, he's just so sweet.)

Congrats! Give her time to settle in. Keep reading and posting here, it's a wealth of knowledge and support! Welcome to greytalk!