Weird Bump Causing Limp

Guest Amy_Bee

Guest Amy_Bee

I was walking Gretchen and everything was fine. Then she walked onto some dirt and suddenly seemed to be in pain. There was no yelp, but she lifted up her paw as if she didn't want to walk on it. I inspected her paw pads for brambles/pebbles and found nothing. Somehow we got home and under the light I found that she has a little tiny bump on her wrist. This is apparently causing her enough pain that she doesn't want to walk. She limped all the way home and kept stopping and lifting up her paw. I put a cold washcloth on the area with the bump, but have no idea what it could be. Could it be a bug bite?

I suppose I'll just watch it for now. As usual with these things, it happened just after the vet closed.

Could it be a bug bite?

Spider bites seem to be becoming more and more common, and they always pop up on the wrist. My guy had one that was gnarly- made him completely lame and caused the wrist to swell to the size of a tangerine. If this happened very suddenly with your girl, I'm inclined to say insect bite, in which case you can treat with Benedryl and warm compress. Get to the vet ASAP, though. Limping + greyhounds in the same sentance is not good... not something you want to wait and see with.

Guest Amy_Bee

OK, I didn't have Benadryl, so I ran to the drugstore and when I returned, she followed me into the kitchen and the limp was gone. I checked her wrist and the bump is smaller than before. I gave her one Benadryl anyway (they say 25 mg per pound, but I just gave her the one, even though she would normally get two). She seems OK now. The bump was kind of hard, like a pimple.

Hope all is better this morning. Keep a close eye on it. Head straight to the vet if there are any signs of infection like warmth, swelling, oozing, increased pain, redness or other skin color change. Also go if it is not improved in 24 hrs. Don't wait a couple days and chance landing at the e-vet. That amount of pain from a bug bit is really odd. My worry would be some infection. As a_daerr mentions, there seems to be an increase of spider bites. Some of these can cause serious reactions, primarily related to infection. I've seen the leg of a dog who went through this. It was awful. Though I've also had a dog react strongly to a wasp sting and she improved swiftly with diphenhydramine (Benadryl), never needing vet care. So just be alert to any changes.