Pollyanna Fate (Rsw Playmate) 7-4-01---9-29-14

queenwinniesmom

I got home from Spain late last night, and although it was very good to be back home, at the same time I was dreading it. I knew that Polly's loss would be so much more real, the emptiness in our house palpable. And it was, it is. I look at the crate where she ate, remembering how encouraged we were when she would trot into it eagerly for the hamburger she was getting every day. She was so enjoying eating, especially the treats and special foods that we knew were just a temporary fix for the gradual slipping away. It had been my worst fear that she would have to leave before I could get back to be with her at the end. And that's what happened. But I know she couldn't have held on for over a week, and I know that her Dad was with her, holding her and telling her that we loved her so much. I'd told her that many times before I left, with many hugs and kisses. She was ready to go. But we just miss her so. This morning, I called her name to go out.

I've said this often, but she was a perfect little lady. She came to us as a foster dog right after Winnie had been diagnosed with osteo. We felt that she was meant to stay with us to help us deal with that sad and stressful time, to give us comfort, and that's just what she did. The name Pollyanna was close to the sound of her racing name, something I like to do, if possible, and the middle name---yes, I'm weird, all my pets have middle names---was because it was fate that she came when we needed her the most. She fit in perfectly, and over the last 10 years, her position in our family never changed. She never wanted to be the center of attention, the social butterfly. She would wait sweetly until someone noticed her lovely, gentle face and kind eyes, and she had a way of picking someone who needed her most. Because Lydia and Tess require that immediate connection, often Polly was overlooked because her charm was quiet, her demeanor humble and patient. Her light wasn't a dazzling sun, but more the glow of a steadfast star.

I don't think I ever saw her do anything bad---maybe the odd pee in the house---or be snarky or annoyed with anyone, dog, cat or human. Everything was okay with Polly, and she was always there when you needed her, just in case. She helped us through Nick's loss, and Winnie's, and was a tolerant big sister to many, many foster dogs. She was an eager traveler to lots of Deweys, Gettysburgs, and Grapehounds. Over the last 8 years, we've been so lucky, we haven't had to say goodbye to any of our dogs and cats. But I knew that day would come soon enough. She turned 13 in July (yes, born on the 4th of July), and had been slowing down for some time. She was always a bit more frail than the others, with recurring, unexplained problems, nothing serious, but each time she seemed to bounce back a little slower. And then she developed the heart murmur and became even more frail. The teeth were an issue that the window of opportunity closed on, and our vet honestly didn't think she could survive anesthesia---I do feel guilt about that, but don't know how much time we could have bought. She still loved to eat, and she liked to go on short walks, mostly to sniff around at everything. But she no longer got in the car every weekend to go for rides with the other dogs. She preferred to sleep in the living room, and hesitated to go up and down the steps, stumbling often. Sometimes she seemed not to be present, her eyes holding that turning inward look. But I guess still waters run deep, and she had more subtle strength than we knew. In the last weeks, I smiled as she literally ran to the crate for the latest treat, or fixed us with that "you will give me some of your dinner" stare. But when she refused all food, wouldn't even get off the couch, or go up and down the steps, we knew the time was near. Even though I wasn't with her physically, I was there in spirit, and knew that she'd told us it was time. A lady till the end, quietly asking to say goodbye.

Here are some pictures from her last Grapehounds in July. Wasn't she the most beautiful little lady?

Polly3.jpg

Polly1.jpg

Polly2.jpg

On the balcony at Dewey Beach.

cutestPolly.jpg

Edited by queenwinniesmom

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Her light wasn't a dazzling sun, but more the glow of a steadfast star.

I hope you will see that star often and be comforted. This is one of the most beautifully written tributes I have read. I'm so sorry for the loss of your special girl and can't imagine how hard it was that you couldn't be with her. Rest well, Polly.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I am certain that there will be a new star in the sky named Polly. Nancy and Doug, I am so very sorry for the loss of your beautiful Polly.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

What a beautiful and touching tribute to your precious girlie. :beatheart Know that she'll always be there in spirit with you. :bighug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I am so very sorry :( :(

you can tell just by looking at her eyes, her face, what a truly special girl she was. :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

She was a beautiful lady. Maybe her start won't be the brightest in the sky, but it will always be there to remind you of the love you shared.

Rest well, Polly. You were a treasure here on this earth.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

A beautiful tribute to your beautiful Polly. I'm so sorry for your loss. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

What a beautiful girl she was and always will be. Nancy I am very sorry.

Run free Polly, run free sweetie...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I have often admired your way with words and never more than now with this loving and understanding tribute to your beautiful Polly. I am very sorry she had to leave you. :grouphug

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

So incredibly beautiful :wub: . I'm sorry she had to leave you.

Godspeed, Polly.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.