Eating Dirt

We have three greyhounds and they are fabulous. For a while thoug, Blue has been digging a hole and then eating dirt from the hole. The girls will participate but Blue is the main hole starter.

We have been trying different foods to see if that helped and we also put them on Dinovite that we have for Walter (Mama was a 130 pound English mastiff and Daddy a 40 pound hound dog). Walter does not eat dirt.

We have a feral cat population in the neighborhood and have seen cats and kittens in the yard. I'm wondering if they are going after places the cats may have relieved themselves in.

We tried putting poop in the hold and covering but they just dig another

I don't know if there is any solution to this other than muzzles but thought I would ask if anyone else deals with this or has found a way to discourage it..

Alice (missing 12/7/05), Wonder and Ben

Alice%20Sig.jpgWonder%20Prof%20Sig.JPGBen%20Sig.jpg

And our beloved Bridge Kids... Inky, Maui, Murphy, Ragamuffin, Della and Natalie

All of mine will eat dirt at some time. No one, including our vet, really knows why. Mine all get a balanced diet with plenty of vitamins and minerals, so I doubt it's a nutrition issue.

It's mostly a Springtime thing at our house. Once the dirt dries out in the summer, they stop the behavior.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Rocky always ate dirt when the ground first started freezing in the winter. No idea.

Barb is HORRIBLE about eating dirt. She wears a muzzle w/ a poop guard on it when she goes out.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

Rocky always ate dirt when the ground first started freezing in the winter. No idea.

Barb is HORRIBLE about eating dirt. She wears a muzzle w/ a poop guard on it when she goes out.

:nod Andy would choose dirt over almost anything. Weirdo.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Brady has decided to graduate from dirt to pine cones and sticks, hates to wearing his racing muzzle with poop guard....

Debbie

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

I guess it will have to be muzzle time at least when Blue goes out. Maybe the girls won't do it if he doesn't start a hole. With the feral cats I wonder if they could have hookworms and give it to the greys. We do preventatives for hooks but they are so nasty here. Last time it took two rounds of meds to get rid of them. It's been a long time though since they had them.

Thank you for all your input. It is very much appreciated.

Alice (missing 12/7/05), Wonder and Ben

Alice%20Sig.jpgWonder%20Prof%20Sig.JPGBen%20Sig.jpg

And our beloved Bridge Kids... Inky, Maui, Murphy, Ragamuffin, Della and Natalie