Female Marker

Guest jenmm

I think I've read about it before but can't remember. Any insight on females marking?

I just brought him Zoe's littermate and everywhere he pees, she does. I have never seen her do this before.

Guest Lillypad

I have a female that is a big marker. When we are at a play date with other greyhounds and one pees, she will most always pee on top of it. She is otherwise a passive female, so I really can`t say what (if any) the reason for this behavior is.

We just had a foster that was a big marker. Even vertical against trees.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Cookie exhibits some type of marking behavior, mostly out on walks with my other male dogs. She will squat down only a little and pee just a little bit. She does it quite a few times. It definitely seems like marking. She really doesn't do it at home or even on walks near our house. Just when we go downtown to walk or other events, especially with other dogs.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana

Luck of the draw. Some girls do it, some don't.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Peggy does it too and has even learned to lift up her leg something like a male... it gets the pee just a little bit higher and that would help it to cancel out or update the other pee there. Just like a game of cards... they need to 'trump' the previous one. :-)

My Zoe was a champion marker. She wud lift a leg or back up to a pole and spray like a cat. She was higher than the boys, too! Lordy, I miss that girl!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest chickenpotpie

Lucky marks constantly. Every walk, in the yard (even where I tell her not to sometimes) and if another dog pees and she sees it, oh boy, she's gotta pee on top of that! she squats, hitches her leg up, whatever it takes.

Guest normaandburrell

I've always had males, but it never fails. If I foster a babysit a female, she will mark right over where my male has just peed. My current male squats and pees like a girl, at least most of the time. If he is near a tree, he may lift his leg, but that is not is actually a little unusual for him.

Guest elizabeth7418

My Addy is a marker. She's lifted her leg on trees on more than one occasion. The funniest time she marked was over this past summer. She got out of her crate while at my parents' house with the help of their 14-year-old Saluki (loooong story haha). The Saluki was incontinent and always peed in the kitchen while my parents weren't home. Well my little marker peed all through the kitchen, too. So not only did we come home to my jail-broken dog, but the house was full of pee. Couldn't help but laugh. :)

Sammi and Lynni both are markers. It's like watching the putting together of a Jenga stack if they are allowed to be near each other pottying outside.

I'm peeing.... here.

Hmm... me too.

No I am!

I am!

Me!

ME!

me

me

me

me

me

me

River: Oh look, a butterfly....

My old roommate has a whippet and a female greyhound. Dolly would stand behind Brady to pee on his spot. Sometimes she get so close that it looked like he was peeing on her,

Debbie

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

Ruby is a marker....even more so than the boys.

And she lifts a leg, too.

And...she has peed on their heads. More than once :dunno

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I couldn't bring Ivy over to anyone's house who had dogs because without fail she would mark their dog beds. Somehow she always managed it even though we would keep her on leash, watch her like a hawk, etc. The second we let our guard down, she was whizzing on a dog bed.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Add Sweep to this club. She has always marked on walks, even when she just hears or sees a dog in the distance. She will also lift her leg like a male sometimes. We have to monitor her closely when we stay with my husband's family at Christmas--there are three resident dogs and usually several visiting dogs and Sweep christened an area rug the first year we went. Her foster mom had warned us that she'd pee wherever and whenever, which we always thought was so weird because she never had accidents at our house. Now we realize she must have been marking over the foster mom's other grey.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

My Diana pees after a new dog in the house does, male or female on their spot. She makes sure her squirt is the last on that pee spot. She usually gives up after a week for a male foster, 2 weeks for a female foster. She's more bossy to the girls. She looses interest eventually for all of them.

And - some fosters - she never felt the need to pee after. I've never figured out the logic in her brain about which ones needed to be "over-peed" and which didn't. There is no correlation to dominance, gender, attitude, or anything.

I'd chalk it up to a "quirky grey thing" and not stress your brain trying to figure out what's going on in hers.

Bothy big alphas were also big markers. I do t know if it's a coincidence or not. We were visiting my parents and went for a walk; Mason peed twice and Molly peed at least 7 times. At the end I think all that was coming out was smell but she kept going. 😀 She's even figured out how to pee against a tree.

Wow, and I thought it was unusual that my Liberty was a female "territorial pee-er" (my own term). I swear she would save it so that she could squat 15 times on one walk. She looked like she was squeezing it out just so she could have her say.

I'm amazed that Mercury (my first boy dog) doesn't seem that interested, only occasionally peeing where some other dog has (or on his own foot).

Edited by Mercsmom

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

i've only had two females. millie, retired racer, and poppy - saluki lurcher. both champion markers. tree and bush* spraying a specialty.

*- i'm sure poppy could spray an obama as well as a bush. (i am an ecumenical presidential abuser)

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.