What's This Rash?

My coworker's dog has had a rash for several months. Vet doesn't know what it is, did not do a scraping, issued antibiotics. Some of the raised skin lumps were already present before the rash started.

-male boxer, neutered, age 10

-owner says he has no fleas but is not on protection, most likely not getting heartworm meds either

-allowed to run freely off-property unsupervised

-owner had professional carpet cleaner just before the rash started

-has not tried to get a clean water rinse done to help neutralize the carpet cleaning chemicals

-has washed the dog's bedding, same detergent as always

-owner says dog doesn't scratch often that she can hear

This family has money, spends plenty on vacations and stuff they want, very little on the dog. They've already spent $500 on the rash and they don't want/husband won't let her spend more on the dog.

harley2_zpsfaabc388.jpg

harley1_zps8725e46c.jpg

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I think what looks like a bruise on his elbow is just old dog elbow/pressure callous.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Was the carpet treated with Scotchgard? I'm betting allergic reaction to Scotchgard or similar type carpet treatment.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

It sure looks like the pictures I found for allergic urticaria.

Owner did mention she's been giving the dog Zirtec. She didn't want to get the carpet cleaned again with water or a neutralizer because it costs money and in a few months they will be ripping it up to install hardwood floors.

Looks like asking the vet for Dexamethasone or a corticosteroid will help.

I don't think Scotchgard was used. However it might have been a dri-chem cleaner instead of a water-based treatment.

tiny hada siggy.png

If it's the carpet treatment, the owners can try beds or fleece throws on the carpet in areas the dog likes to lie on.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Turns out it wasn't a professional carpet cleaner. The owner used the sprinkle on stuff and then vacuumed it up. First time she's used it.

tiny hada siggy.png

that stuff has a bad rep as far as pets go.

woulda been cheaper to get a pro in after that vet bill.

probably needs a pro to decontaminate the carpeting.

false economy.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

And still the owner hasn't done anything. <_<

tiny hada siggy.png