Checking Dog's Behavior

Guest aidee

Hi,

I have just read a similar enquiry, but all the answers referred to using Apps and Smartphones, which I do not have, and am lost about them.

I want to see what my dog gets up to at night when we are in bed and he is on his own. I don't know what equipment I will need, but I do not want or need a Smartphone and I am top of the class when it comes to clueless. I don't want to go through miles and miles of Video showing him asleep, rather only video of him moving around.

I have a WiFi system, and the advice I have been given, is to buy a USB Webcam with Night Vision, and set it up HOW?

My Computer and WiFi Router are in one room, while the dog sleeps (I think) in an adjoining room.

I would be grateful for any help.

Another question I'd like answered - I recently bought a Wireless Printer, unboxed it, plugged in, set up as per instructions, and off I went. No USB Connection, No Ethernet or LAN Connections either. Why is there nothing like that fir Webcams?

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

if you are worried that he is getting into things, just close your door, or put up a babygate across the bedroom door so he cant go anywhere. problem solved. lot cheaper and easier than cameras ans other stuff to buy and setup.

It doesn't matter where your computer or router is for a wifi-connected cam. Most should set up very easily. Look into baby monitors as those can be used at night. You can also use a small night light to make it more visible.

Is there a reason you're so curious about his nighttime behavior? Is he getting into things or chewing inappropriately? Is he not sleeping in the same room with you at night?

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

No, he doesn't get into or chew things. It's just that we hear bumps and other noise coming from his room. Maybe we have a ghost.

He wont sleep in our room. I've tried, but he wakes up, then goes downstairs to his crate.

I found two WiFi Baby Monitors, but the answer to the query 'were they stand-alone' was 'no, they need an Ethernet cable'.

Will a Baby Monitor record movement only?

AD

Edited by aidee

As to your camera query--it's not a simple, easy answer, and I think you're going to just have to Google it and do some reading and research to find exactly what you want. Every set up is different. Short answer is this: if you have a laptop with a built in web cam, there IS software (which may in fact already be installed) that will allow you to record only when motion is detected. However, I don't know of any laptop webcams that have night vision. I suppose you could just leave a light on. That solution will only work if your dog stays in front of the camera.

I have a Foscam camera, and it DOES have night vision. I believe you can set it up to only record when there is motion--but again, you really need to read up on that. A camera that would actually record in low light and follow the dog is going to cost more than I imagine you want to pay--and no solution works otherwise the minute the dog moves away from the camera.

If he were my dog, I would simply put him in my bedroom and close the door, and teach him "go lie down." In the end, that's a much simpler solution if you're a technophobe!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I agree that it would probably be expensive. Keep him in with you if you want to be sure of his movements. I have five dogs, and hear many bumps in the night. My dogs sleeping in the closets or on the futon often change position during the night. The often bump the walls when turning. Are you finding any damage in the house?

Glad you were able to find an easy printer...what did you get?

Guest Lygracilux

https://www.dropcam.com/

Its awesome, my best friend has the Pro, but the original one would work just as fine.

Its super simple, even for her (technology repels her)

You just hook it up to a wifi source, and can check it via any other thing that has the cloud.

Hi GT Supporter,

No there is no9 damage. He is a very docile dog, and that is why we jump when we hear a noise.

The Printer I got was a Wireless HP 6520 all-in-one.

I think I'll have a look at Grey pup's suggestion.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll let you know how I get on.