Appointment With Oncology Tomorrow...any Questions I Should Ask?

Guest Dancer

I'm happy Stolie is doing OK. The meds can certainly cause him to be anxious, and also to pant. We actually hand fed Jamey his kibbles in the first days post surgery, even at the ER vet. Having some canned food on hand at home might be a good idea so you're not desperate if he won't eat. I just posted a recipe for Life saving meatballs for someone in a thread titled "I'm scared"

You said you had many stairs in your home. Are they carpeted? Are they open in the back or closed? These could cause problems if they are not carpeted, or have open risers in the back. We had lots of runners laid down for Jamey so he did not have to hop on any slippery floors.

You know how to contact us, please don't hesitate. It can be really scary and frustrating until you figure out a new routine at home.

Tin

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest Dancer

I'm happy Stolie is doing OK. The meds can certainly cause him to be anxious, and also to pant. We actually hand fed Jamey his kibbles in the first days post surgery, even at the ER vet. Having some canned food on hand at home might be a good idea so you're not desperate if he won't eat. I just posted a recipe for Life saving meatballs for someone in a thread titled "I'm scared"

You said you had many stairs in your home. Are they carpeted? Are they open in the back or closed? These could cause problems if they are not carpeted, or have open risers in the back. We had lots of runners laid down for Jamey so he did not have to hop on any slippery floors.

You know how to contact us, please don't hesitate. It can be really scary and frustrating until you figure out a new routine at home.

Tin

We do have a lot of stairs...all carpeted...but with open risers :(. . We have several rubber backed mats that we can put down on the floor for traction....picked up a harness and a ramp for him today. He will have 3 steps to negotiate to get in/out of the house. Plus planning to set up a base camp on the main floor for him and me to sleep for the first few weeks. Can hardly wait to get him home.

Visited him a couple times today...Stolie is doing much better...he scarfed down some roast beef, canned salmon and the soft dog food from the hospital. He is off morphine and on perquisite(spelling?) so he doesn't look so stoned.

Plus he can get up on his own and move around a bit. With assistance he can get himself outside. Kind of cruel as he probably thought I was going out to the car (home). ... So he followed me eagerly outside to the exercise area.

Hopefully we will be bringing him home tomorrow. Fingers crossed

imagejpg1_zps7d63c348.jpg

Edited by Dancer

I'm happy that Stolie is doing quite well, is looks like it in the picture anyway. Percocet is still a strong pain killer so it will help him too, without some of the 'being stoned' side effects.

Hopefully he will come home tomorrow.

Tin

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

He looks great! I hope he is able to come home today and let the healing process begin.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Dancer

Yeah Stolie, is home from the hospital. He couldn’t get out of there fast enough. Didn't really look at us - just focused on the door.

We made up a nice cushy dog bed for him to lay on…nope…he insisted on the couch and wanted nothing to do with the cushy bed. He did manage to get all three legs up on the couch pretty quick.

He is getting around much better than I thought he would be - the worst part is standing up - it causes a lot of pain. But once he is moving, it seems okay. He has balance issues when he is standing still and leans into us and needs support. Needless to say, very little energy and needs to rest after a few seconds(10 metres in from the car). He is on percocet for the next while, with a bandage change on Wednesday.

His appetite is good and he went to the water bowl of his own volition....

IMG_1983_zpsd1ee40ea.jpg

IMG_1984_zps166f77d2.jpg

Phew, so relieved to have our boy home. I know this isn't the end of it, and more like the beginning of a lot of challenges, but at least I can do something to help him.

Yeah! I'm happy that Stolie is home! He'll heal up faster at home too.

For the balance issue, I remember that Jamey got used to put his remaining front leg more in the middle of his body as he got used to being a tripod. Also, over time his toes on the front foot spread out, making the area in contact with the ground larger and helping his balance. Stolie has to physically heal up first though so I can see that things hurt him right now.

How is Checker reacting to him?

ETA- how did he do with the stairs leading up to your home? Did he use the ramp?

Edited by mom2four

Guest Dancer

Yeah! I'm happy that Stolie is home! He'll heal up faster at home too.

For the balance issue, I remember that Jamey got used to put his remaining front leg more in the middle of his body as he got used to being a tripod. Also, over time his toes on the front foot spread out, making the area in contact with the ground larger and helping his balance. Stolie has to physically heal up first though so I can see that things hurt him right now.

How is Checker reacting to him?

ETA- how did he do with the stairs leading up to your home? Did he use the ramp?

Checker is out of sorts and not comfortable with the change in our routine. Overall just hanging out in the background watching. Stolie is a strong alpha and Checker was quite comfortable with that - now he doesn't know what is going on. Over the past half hour he has reminded me a few times that it is bedtime and I need to go upstairs.

Tomorrow we'll have to get Checker out for a walk or two...burn off some of his energy and give him a 'fun' distraction. Though he does appreciate that he gets treats when Stolie gets treats.

When Stolie goes outside, he is doing well with peeing, but has made no motion that he needs to poop. Does percocet and the other pain killers cause constipation in dogs just like in humans??

I've been thinking about Stoli all weekend. It's so good knowing he is home. Not to minimize what he is facing and what he just went through, but he really looks good.

Thanks so much ...such a relief that he is doing well, all things considered

Guest Dancer

He has a week's worth of meds - the vet hasn't said how long to keep him on the meds, but we have a bandage change on Wednesday and will have a chance to see how he is doing and a better idea of what to expect.