I'm Scared

I am in the same boat, Max lost 7lbs since his Dental in July, he is less than race weight now and he is a big boy @ 31.5 inches tall and very long, bony and lanky. Sending hugs to you and Franny, it is hard to watch them age and lose Muscle Mass. I had Max on Metacam(Meloxicam) for Arthritis in his back end, problems getting into van, he fell two times. It helped his back end but he did not want to eat...so took him off of it completely, husband built a step to get in Van and I feed 3 times a day. He has gained back a few pounds, I add lean meat to every meal, lots of chicken boiled, lean burger, I make gravy from broth, chicken livers. He still walks twice daily and runs the back yard, I keep walks very short for him 10 min, just enough to keep his mobility, he will be 12 on Columbus Day.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Have you thought of adding Satin balls (AKA fat balls, AKA Life Saving Meatballs).

There are a number of variations of the recipe out there, this is the one I used when Angel Jamey had his amputation. He loved them, got up to 10 per day for a while and did gain weight.

2 lbs raw hamburger or ground turkey. The cheaper and fatter, the better
3-4 raw eggs
1 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup karo corn syrup
1 cup wheat germ or oatmeal

Dump it into a large bowl and mix together with your hands or wooden spoon.
form into balls about the size of a ping pong ball and feed up to 10 meatballs
per serving.
Freeze the meatballs on a cookie sheet and then store the frozen balls in a zip
lock bag. Microwave the desired number of meatballs as needed. I microwave
about one minute. Cool before serving.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Have you thought of adding Satin balls (AKA fat balls, AKA Life Saving Meatballs).

There are a number of variations of the recipe out there, this is the one I used when Angel Jamey had his amputation. He loved them, got up to 10 per day for a while and did gain weight.

3-4 raw eggs

1 cup peanut butter

1/2 cup karo corn syrup

per serving.

These look like a great idea, do you cook them before freezing them?

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

These look like a great idea, do you cook them before freezing them?

No they are RAW.

A note! use unsalted peanut butter- our Jamey peed up a storm before i realized it was the salt in the peanut butter.

Edited by mom2four

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest FordRacingRon

3-4 raw eggs

1 cup peanut butter

1/2 cup karo corn syrup

per serving.

Will a dog that never has eaten raw in their lives be okay with this? I am desperate to find something Leia will eat more then 3 times before she hates it again.

We went to the vet this morning for a weight check. She has lost 4 lbs since April :(

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

Will a dog that never has eaten raw in their lives be okay with this? I am desperate to find something Leia will eat more then 3 times before she hates it again.

Unless your pup was hurt and petted out at a very young age raw is what she ate. The first few minutes shows them mixing their feed.

We've had to put all our oldies (over twelve) onto puppy food to keep weight on them. Jeffie is particularly bad - I constantly expect someone to call the RSPCA to us for starving him! With puppy kibble plus add-ins of homemade meat stew, canned fish or quality wet dog food, he's almost an OK weight.

FYI, he loves satin balls, but vomits if I don't lightly cook them for him. I freeze them raw and dry-fry them a few at a time.

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Jamey had no trouble eating these (after I figured out his excessive peeing from the first batch was due to the regular (salted) peanut butter).

Guest Dancer

3-4 raw eggs

1 cup peanut butter

1/2 cup karo corn syrup

per serving.

This recipe looks awesome. Thanks!!