On Trimming Dew Claws

schultzlc

Is there is a trick to trimming dew claws? Nova is my first hound with dew claws, and I find them very hard to clip. Her claws were, in general, longer than I like them when I adopted her last March, but I'm slowly chiseling them down. I feel like the dew claws are super-awkward to get to. Do they need to be as short as the other claws? I'm clearly a total dew claw newbie...

By the way, dremmels are out at our house. Spooky Luna would have a complete come-apart if I brought something that makes noise like that onto her turf.

Thanks in advance!

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Since it's just the dew claws, you can use a regular nail file, I get the heavier grit ones from Sally Beauty supply and just use that in place of a dremel, accomplishes the same thing, just takes a little more time :)

gtsigtest5-31-1-1.jpg?t=1338477409
Mom to Emmi (WM Lickety Split) & Asia (Devious Walker)
Waiting at the Bridge: Shadow, Willow, Tony, Nina, Reggie, Sunny, Webb, Rosie, Rowdy, Ivy, Smoke & Raina

My Nova hates the drummel and did totally freak out when I first got her. With lots of time and patience she has learned to tolerate it. Liver brownies after are a big incentive for her.

I try to trim them when Teague is lying on his side. A much easier angle. I don't know if your pup will tolerate that though, mine will literally sleep through nail trimming. Teague's dew claws are longer than the regular nails, they curl around a bit. I do try to keep them trimmed as short as I can but the quick is just longer in them.

I dremmel when Lila is laying down and the dew claw that is facing “up” is super easy, but the one facing “down” is nearly impossible. You might have to keep your clippers handy and wait for Nova to flip over to get the other side.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).