Towel As A Cone

Guest 18tjettagrl

Guest 18tjettagrl

Victoria is notorious for he running and wiping out. Sometimes she tears her skin and it normally heals within a few days. This time we have zero clue how she did one so close to her shoulder on the inside of the leg. She won't stop licking it. It scabs over and then she busts it open due to scabs get tight and itchy as well all know. I have been using wonder powder to keep it dry and that works until she starts in with the licking. We bandaged it and she tore that off, we tried a shorter cone and she just froze and started panting and wouldn't move. I figured she was either in panic or chlosterophobic. I've seen on another site a towel used so they can't bend the neck to pick the wound. Has anyone else tried this?

I have an actual bite not collar, but have used the towel several times. It works great. There are several YouTube videos on now to do it. I use vet wrap to keep it on.

Manuka honey may help to heal the wound. A long sleeved shirt will help to keep it covered. Feet go in the arms, button shirt over the back, and wrap the excess with a rubber band. Good luck.

Guest normaandburrell

Our vet doesn't like cones, and neither did our grey. He had a bad laceration on his shoulder, and on the vet's advice I used small size t shirts pulled over his head and front legs and pinned around his belly. It actually worked.

• 9 months later...
Guest MarieKlaus

I just tried the towel for Klaus. It looked like it would work, but he's such a contortionist, he got right down to licking the wound on his hock. The cone is back on. He can still get to it, but it's not as easy and he doesn't try so hard.

For towel cone-of-shame: Smaller bath towel or larger hand towel, folded lengthwise to be a bit smaller than the width of your grey's neck. Wrap around the neck and secure (you can use duct tape, vetwrap, or a scarf).

For an injury on the leg, Manuka honey and some vetericyn should make a big difference, and a muzzle with stool guard (or duct-tape equivalent) can protect the injury and help it heal faster (ideally, in conjunction with keeping determined hound from licking).

good luck!