Marking

Guest DrCoconut

Guest DrCoconut

We've had Carl 2 months now and no potty training issues in the house,but he will pee or mark everywhere outside! I'm talking potted plants, lawn chairs, and small tables. How do I get him to not pee on my outside chairs? I know at least he's not going in the house.

Guest greyhound_in_LA

Just like with kids, you need to decide how granular you want to do this training and how strict you want to be. I, personally, let my dog pee on most things outside except on neighbors' newspapers and potted plants. Anything else like the bushes or agaves I can hose off, which I do if I notice the pee (nitrogen burn) is a lot.

If you don't want him to pee on chairs and tables, you say, "uh uh" as he is lifting his leg then guide him to where he CAN pee. Reward. Repeat x times. Always positive reinforcement.

To help with the method posted above, you can put him on a long leash as you wander around the yard so you can quickly take him to an approved pee spot.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter