Fluoxetine

I wanted to see of anyone else has experienced this with there grey or any other breed of dog. So I used fluoxetine on my grey for separation aniexty and for those who have not used it the medication is given daily. THe medication takes 3-4weeks to reach is potential. At week 3 my hound developed complete behavior changes including fearfullness of other dogs, depression. So the vet I work for recommend decreasing the dose to every other day and her personality ìn one day is almost improved instantly. She is much happier. The doctor and I have never seen the medication change or make fearful behavior worst. Anyone else experience this? Anyone seen this as a side effect of this medication?

Kristen mom to-

Sp FancyPants (Fanny)- 4.20.12 Adopted 3.8.14

Rico's Maggie (Maggie)- 12.3.12 Adopted 1.21.15

I was warned of this possibility for valium (rather than xanax--fluoxetine) by a vet who cautioned that when you use a mood-altering med, you can't predict which way the mood will go. He said it doesn't usually go to negative symptoms, but it could so let him know right away.

A website for fluoxetine in dogs disccusses possible side effects:

The most common side effects of fluoxetine are lethary, change in appetite, weight changes, runny nose, dry mouth, drowsiness, weakness, sore throat, nausea or diarrhea. Behavioral side effects include anxiety, panic attacks, trouble sleeping, irritability, agitation, hostility, aggression, restlessness, hyperactivity, or increased depression. Since many of these are the problems fluoxetine is prescribed to decrease, medication may not be the answer for dogs who experience these symptoms. If your dog's problems seem to worsen during the first week, consult your veterinarian.

Read more: The Side Effects of Fluoxetine for Dog Behavior Treatment

I used fluoxetine for my boy's SA and didn't see any improvement so we went with clomipramine. He's down to one 25mg capsule a day, but every time I try to wean him off this, we're right back to trouble (pooping in the crate while I'm away from home).

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I know it was one of the side effects which is why I started pushing to decrease it. But ive never seen a case where worsening of aniexty has happened causing aggression in any patient we have on it. Now alpraazolam is a different story. Ive personally never used either in any of my dogs until now. Im kind of sad I did.

Kristen mom to-

Sp FancyPants (Fanny)- 4.20.12 Adopted 3.8.14

Rico's Maggie (Maggie)- 12.3.12 Adopted 1.21.15

I think most vets are using Clomicalm as a first line choice in SA. That may be something to try if that's her only anxiety trigger.

My boy takes 40mg Fluoxetine daily, but not for SA. His is a more generalized anxiety (reactivity to other dogs, excessive grooming, low thresholds, doesn't like to be handled certain ways). We never experienced any adverse side effects with him. For the first few weeks, we questioned whether the meds were doing anything at all. Then, a few months later, we reconvened with the vet and talked about the positive changes. I'm happy with the progress.

Edited by a_daerr

Both Prozac (fluoxetene) and Xanax (alprazolam) are off-label uses for human medications. We don't really understand fully how they work in humans, and it's nearly impossible to tell with animals. It's always trial-and-error whether one works over another, or one causes side-effects and one doesn't. It might be that an SSRI class drug doesn't fit your dogs brain chemistry issues, so trying another class of drug may be more beneficial.

In dogs, bad side effects such as you describe seem to be less common then in people, but they do occur. I have seen probably three or four dogs here on GT who have had episodes (in the 10years or so I've been on GT), with some requiring hospitalization to get through them. They were all with different drugs.

If your girl is better now, then you found the answer to the side-effects problem. As long as she is tolerating the new dosage, and her behavior problems are better, then I hope you yourself feel better about using medication to help her. The alternative is to have her live a life that is less than happy.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

No need to be sad. It's totally appropriate to use medication to help a dog through serious separation anxiety, although it may take some trial and error to find the dose or drug that works for an individual dog. Especially with behavior medications, each dog responds a little differently. For some, a lower dose actually works better. If the every other day dosing is helping with the separation anxiety, then I'd stay with that. If not, I'd consider trying a different medication, like clomipramine. Fluoxetine and clomipramine both have brand name formulas that are FDA-approved and backed by research to treat separation anxiety in dogs when used in conjunction with a behavior modification program.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg