Sign in to follow this  
Guest mhall

Dog Just Ran Into Glass Door - E Vet?

Guest mhall

Jasper just collided with our glass door when coming in from the yard. My MIL let him out and didn't know he has a tendency to come barreling towards the door when he's ready to come in. She couldn't open it in time and he hit the top of his head, hard. He was running at a good clip.

The top of his head is very tender and he was sneezing quite a bit afterwards, but he seems ok. His pupils respond to light and he can follow my finger with his eyes. Should he still go to the E vet or are we ok to watch him? He gets super stressed at the vet, especially the E vet but we'll go if we need to. If we watch and wait, what should we look for? Advice appreciated!

I'm not a medical professional, but would probably just watch him, since you'll be paying for e-vet services anyway.

I'm sure others will have other symptoms, but I'd look for confusion and lack of response to common commands. If he shows signs of significant pain, or if the pupils don't continue to respond as you've already been testing, I'd move to the vet at that time.

Of course, any vomiting would also be an indicator of a problem.

I'd be reluctant to give him any food (or medicine) until you know that he's not going to need treatment at the vet's.

Good luck.

Other than the top of his head where he hit it, is he showing any signs of tenderness on his neck? Does he look like he is in pain or disoriented? Any trouble walking? Any discomfort in getting up from his bed or laying back down again?

Years ago there was a greyhound on GT who did not survive running into a glass door.

Charlie the iggy, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella)
Angels: Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Scouts_mom

I agree with Juliemac's advise. That is what I would do. If I remember correctly the dog that died broke his neck upon impact.

Edited by Scouts_mom

My dog, John E, years ago, ran into a glass door. He zonked himself pretty well, but, was fine after. I would just watch him, at least, overnight.

Irene Ullmann w/Shine and Odin in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul and Fuzzy
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest mhall

Thank so much for the quick replies everyone! Shortly after I posted he jumped up and ran into the kitchen when he heard the cheese drawer open, so I think he's okay :) I checked his neck, and he doesn't seem to be tender at all there. He also remembered all the commands I ran him through and was happy to get treats. We'll keep an eye on him but glad he seems okay aside from a sore head.

I remembered hearing about the greyhound had died after running into a glass door, but didn't remember the specific circumstances. How sad.

Guest greyhound_in_LA

I think it's a good idea to put stickers or tape back on the glass to prevent further collisions.

Guest AimeeBee

I'd keep an eye on him, maybe follow up with your regular vet tomorrow if they have Saturday hours and he shows signs of soreness/stiffness that you think should be treated.

I second having your MIL put something on the door. Even something like a sticky note or a piece of masking tape could help prevent another run-in.

Edited by AimeeBee

Guest mhall

Thanks for the suggestion to put something on the door. There are big Xes that are taped at dog eye level - we put them up when we first moved in. It was getting dark outside and the light wasn't on in the dining room (where the French doors lead out to the backyard from) so I think Jasper just didn't see them. I usually turn on the back porch light when I let the dogs out, but my MIL didn't know to do so.

We will definitely follow up with our vet tomorrow, or go to the E vet tonight if anything changes. J seems comfortable for the time being though.

Thanks again for the suggestions/reassurance!

Guest normaandburrell

So glad he is okay! Their heads are pretty hard, I would have worried more about his neck.