Disappearing Osteosarcoma?

Guest NeuGrey

Has anyone experienced a disappearing osteosarcoma "bump"? My Stu was diagnosed with osteosarcoma of his right front leg at the end of July after he started limping and then we found a bump above his wrist. He had an X-ray and you could visibly see how the cancer was eating away the bone but was told we caught it fairly early with a prognosis of 1-3 months. We have had him on Previcox since his diagnosis and he has been doing very well. He stopped limping for a month, started limping again about a week ago and we increased Previcox. He is no longer limping and his mass is gone. I'm curious if this is normal progression of the disease? I'm glad that he seems pain free but am confused. I have a call into the vet but thought I would post here first. Thanks!

Not at all normal for osteosarcoma which is a very aggressive cancer. Chances are that the diagnosis was incorrect - a very, very good reason for getting an expert second opinion!

So glad to hear that the mass is gone, whatever it was!

How was it found to have disappeared though? Is it just you saying 'the lump is gone'? Because if so you'd need another x-ray series to know for sure. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Regarding the lump- it's just my opinion that it is no longer palpably or visibly present. We have not had another X-ray. When he was originally diagnosed, my vet did an aspirate of his bone near the shoulder (as he thought he felt another mass) and said he saw a cancerous cell and some abnormal cells. No aspirate was done on the mass itself. I should also mention he has some enlarged lymph nodes under his jaw but I don't know if that is from teeth issues or progression.

Not normal for osteo, wherever it is found. It really doesn't just "go away." I second the mis-diagnosis. Could be lots of other things, including other forms of cancer. You need current x-rays of the whole leg, toes to shoulder. Consider sending digital copies to Dr Couto for his analysis.

http://www.coutovetconsultants.com/for-ownersadopters/

One of mine had a sudden bump appear abover her eye a couple months ago. An aspiration showed "cancer-like" cells, confirmed by a radiologist. After we had the mass removed, it turned out to be a cyst that was either from an injury or encapsulating an microscopic foreign body, not cancer. But the bump was entirely soft-tissue and there was no bone involvement.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Not normal for osteo, wherever it is found. It really doesn't just "go away." I second the mis-diagnosis. Could be lots of other things, including other forms of cancer. You need current x-rays of the whole leg, toes to shoulder. Consider sending digital copies to Dr Couto for his analysis.

http://www.coutovetconsultants.com/for-ownersadopters/

:nod Absolutely. :nod

That's great that your dog had 'only' a cyst and not osteo, Greysmom.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Thanks. Scared the crap out of us though when she had a bad allergic reaction to a post-surgery shot of penecillin. A night in the hospital, two days of bloody diarrhea, a week of recovery - poor thing was really messed up.

But not having cancer? Priceless! ;)

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly