Quicked A Nail. Can't Stop Bleeding.

kudzu

Normally use a Dremel but got behind and decided a quick clipping was best to get the tips off first. Boy do I regret that now. I quicked her. :( It bleed a lot, very fast. Applied powder but it still kept bleeding. Packed on some more and applied a toddler sock. It bled through that.... and the next one, over which I put a Pawz boot to protect the floors. Now it's seven hours later and it's still bleeding! Thankfully it has slowed but hasn't stopped. Why would it bleed so long? I really didn't clipped much off.

Right now it's uncovered as I try to decide what to do next. She is licking it clean. Have quicked dogs before. (And that is why I quit clipping.) Have never had one bleed for hours. Wish I knew how to wrap a compression bandage. Will try covering it again and hope it stops completely during the night. If it is still bleeding in the morning or starts again I guess we will be off to vet's. No more clippers!

Am feeling quite horrible about this. Once again I've broken my dog.

You can stick her toe into ice water. She'll hate it, and don't do it for long. Or you can hold an ice cube against the nail.

Also, the spitball approach: a bit of wet tissue held against the nail until it virtually dries there. Then you can fix it in place with a bit of duct tape. (Think of guys plastering their bleeding faces with bits of toilet paper.)

When she walks on it, she'll scrape it open again unless you get a covering like the spitball on it. Cover the seats in your car before you head for the vet in the morning. The vet can cauterize it.

If you ever have to schedule her for surgery--even just a dental--make sure the vet knows about this.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

You might try a liquid bandage or spray-on bandage if you happen to have that, or find a 24 hr. drugstore. Placing pressure on it with your own hand + bandage might help it clot. As a last resort, corn starch might help(?).

We keep liquid Clotisol, and veterinary prescribed tablets of Aminocaproic Acid as emergency back-up for 3 of our most excessive bleeder hounds.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions. Had tried corn starch hours ago on the third try, third sock. No liquid bandage currently. Figures. Will try some tissue and duck tape. We have that in abundance.

Hope we don't end up at vet. This won't look good on an insurance claim. Oy.

I'm sorry about this, I hope it stops soon. I don't know her history, but you may want to bear this in mind if she has a future surgery. Make sure the vet knows and has Amicar on hand?

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest normaandburrell

Is it better by now? We did this with our dog when he was still our foster. We used cornstarch, and it finally stopped. However, he bled for hours and even at one point was spurting a little.

How is it now?

I have heard that sticking the nail into a bar of soap works ... The soap will plug it up

:dunno

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Thanks, all. It's not actively bleeding right now but it is still, um, moist. She left little reddish dots on the carpet so re-tissue+ducked it. So we're not planning a vet visit but it is just so wierd. Thankfully, she isn't limping at all and doesn't pull away when I handle the foot. Hopefully that means there is no or relatively little pain.

Have never experienced anything at all like this. Will also get some Clotisol. The kwik stop I have is quite old so maybe that's part of the problem? However, a couple times in the past I've used corn starch and never had one bleed more than a little bit.

Went back to her original paperwork. Nothing on vet records to indicate a bleeding problem at her spaying. For now, will chalk this up as a fluke but am definitely mentioning this next time we're at the vet. Am just remembering a skin tear she had a few years ago. We didn't have a bleeding problem then. Hopefully this is just a one off.