Iceman Is Starting Classes!

Guest normaandburrell

Guest normaandburrell

Got Iceman 3 months ago and spent a lot of time working on general issues like getting comfortable going up and down stairs, riding in the car, and meeting new dogs and people. It seemed recently like we had stalled a little. He was getting inconsistent in his come and stay off leash, acting a little more independent, and a little obsessed with chewing up sticks and stalking lizards (and squirrels and cats if the opportunity presented) when outside. Which also meant he was getting more inconsistent with the leave it command.

Recently he began to follow us around the house, wanting to go out with us every time we went out, instead of taking a nice long nap after breakfast. So I began to wonder if he was getting enough exercise and stimulation. He is not crazy about walks, and does not run with the intensity I use to seeing with my old hound, who had a successful racing career. Iceman never raced, and we were told he just wasn't interested. However, he loves zooming around the yard, investigating everything he sees, and will leap over things and squeeze himself into small spaces that my other hound would not.

So today I took him to the local dog training club just to observe a class. He walked in like a perfect gentleman, allowed himself to be petted and admired by everyone, and was fascinated with watching the dogs work the classes. Even though we didn't stay long, he has slept all day since then. So I think the Iceman, who never raced, is ready for a job! We are starting with basic obedience, mainly because that is what the club requires, and seeing where it goes. I know a lot of people on the forum have therapy dogs. Are there many greys that do agility?

I guess it depends on what you mean by:

Are there many greys that do agility?

Lots of people on here have taken agility classes with their hounds for fun. So if that's what you mean then YES!!! If you mean actually doing agility regularly and competing... then not so much. On this forum probably only a small handful of us... and actually I think Kili may be only one currently competing (correct me if I'm wrong guys, I'm just drawing a blank). In the agility world as a whole... again, not so much. There are some pretty high profile hounds in agility such as the Never Say Never Greyhounds, and a number of the show breeders. But to put it in perspective... I have heard through the grapevine of a few agility greyhounds but so far have not actually met any others directly and most people at competitions and new training locations are really awed when my truck pulls in and Kili jumps out.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest DogNewbie

I would totally recommend it! Wiley and I do agility- just for fun so far. We just graduated to level 2 after doing level 1 four times! YAY! agility has helped Wiley so much with his confidence, social skills and obedience. We have so much fun! I would definitely in give it a try when Iceman is ready for it.

Guest Lillypad

Oh, I envy you living in the Sunshine State. You have the best location for year round agility training. Please give it a try. We have been taking lessons for some time now. Because we are both novice, we work hard at reaching our goals but we also have great fun. As DogNewbie says it is a fantastic way to enhance your bond with your hound. It most definitely builds confidence, sociability and mental stimulation for your dog. Plus you also get to meet and befriend great folks. How many sports can you name that everyone including the competition cheer you on. Check out http://neversaynevergreyhounds.blogspot.ca/ as well as Aragon Greyhounds for inspiration. http://aragongreyhounds.blogspot.ca/

Edited by Lillypad