Nutmeg: It's Time

EllenEveBaz

Nutmeg and I are going to leave in a little bit for the last trip to the vet. She had such good results from two previous depo-medrol shots for her lumbosacral stenosis (LS) and arthritis, and at first it looked like last week's shot was going to give her a little more time. But the last two days she's been getting worse. Last night she fell and couldn't get back up by herself. Her rear legs start to sink the second she stands still. It's time.

Even though she's taller than most females, in personality she's always been my "little" girl. She's sweet and loving to everyone (except maybe little dogs who act timid around her). I've made jokes over the years about her brain being a few sandwiches short of a full picnic basket, but she's had no trouble training me. She doesn't much care for walks or car rides, but puts up with them because the Pack Should Always Be Together. She can't bear for me to be gardening in the front yard, where she can see me but not be with me, and will stay out in the hot sun (which she hates) or cool breezes (which she hates) watching me from behind the fence.

She is beautiful. Well, of course, she's a greyhound. But she's beautiful even for a greyhound. Her lines are exquisitely elegant. Her dark brindle fur gleams with different colors. Her crazy ears go in all directions, or are swept up in an updo like a 1940's pinup star. A friend told me Nutmeg was too plain a name for such a beautiful girl. She should have something exotic. But Nutmeg -- Meg -- suits her. Sweetly spicy without being cloying, even if she does always smell deliciously of cedar chips rather than apple pie.

I chose her nine years ago on her first day in the adoption kennel. I was looking for a companion for old and grumpy Baz. Nutmeg was more interested in people than the other dogs, and I could tell she would give Bazzy his space. She stood next to me, ignoring everyone else, and I think she was telling me that she would always be a good friend. She has kept her promise. If dogs' spirits live on, I hope she can meet up with her beloved Scout. That would be her idea of heaven.

Win Carole Win, 7/3/2001 to 9/16/2014. Nutmeg. Meggy. Meggymoo. The Brindle Babe. Brindilicious. So Pretty and so Good.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, Ellen, I'm so very sorry. Hoping for a peaceful journey. Take care of yourself, too, ok? :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I'm so sorry it's Nutmeg's time to leave, and I wish her a peaceful journey. Your tribute to her is beautiful.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Ellen, I'm sorry about Nutmeg. Praying for a peaceful passing.

:grouphug

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

I'm so very sorry it's time for you to say goodbye, Ellen. :cry1

Thinking of you and Nutmeg. :grouphug:gh_run2

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

:grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm so sorry you have to say goodbye to your dear girl.

Go gently, Nutmeg.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so sorry you have to say goodbye for now to your sweet Nutmeg. May her passing be gentle and peaceful. Run free baby girl and know your Momma loves you so.

I had to say goodbye for now to my sweet girl on August 29th so I know and share your sadness. May her memories bring you comfort in this difficult time.

Hugs- Jan and Luka