Guest starr511

Guest starr511

Hi

We are fostering our first male greyhound and he likes to lift his leg in the house. So, I think we need to put a belly band on him. I really don't know what they look like or what they are made of. Any pictures on here? I'd appreciate it. Any patterns or how to make one would also be appreciated. I am not a super sewer but think I could make one. He is adopted already so we are just the in between house before the adopters get him. Any pointers on how to get him to stop? When he started to pee, he was on leash, I said no and he stopped. So he is a good listener. We just got home from a walk and he did pee so I think it was a marking thing. I immediately took him outside and he went again. Just a question, is that a sign of dominance? We have a female and male greyhound too.

Thanks

nancy

I have only used a belly band once. It was homemade, and came with the dog. It was a cotton flannel band about 7" wide at its widest, and long enough to go around the boy's waist, with a velcro closure that met on his back. It narrowed as it got to the closure area, so by that time it was about 4-5 inches wide. The padded portion was in the widest part and was a square of more flannel about 3/4 of an inch thick. I used it once. The problem I had was when I needed to wash it, I couldn't figure out which load of laundry to put a pee-soaked item into. I decided to wash it by hand, soaked and wrung and soaked some more. Then put it outside to dry. After a whole day outdoors, and a complete cycle in the dryer, it was still damp. By this time I had spent the whole day watching Jack, letting him out frequently, telling him "No" as needed, and he never had an accident again. So, in my experience, get something that has a removable pad of some sort, and some sort of dampness barrier to prevent the pee from soaking through to the band itself.

When I first got Aidan he marked in the house about 4 different times and I know how frustrating it can be. He would normally do it while we were at work so I would come home to a pile of pee that had already had all day to soak into my hardwood floors and warp the wood! After I got a band I think I only used it once. He hasn't marked anything in the house since the first few weeks we've had him. I think eventually your foster will learn that marking is for outside not inside!

Also make sure you clean any spot where there has been marking really well!

I purchased a belly band through my adoption group but I'm pretty sure you can make one that is just as good. The one I have just attaches with velcro but I bet you could make one with snaps or something stronger for a dog that wont keep it on. Aidan is sulking now because I made him model is "pee-pee band" for all the internet to see! I would just line it with a large maxi pad so you don't have to wash the band every time it gets soiled.

photo15_zps8bedb7ef.jpg

photo36_zpsb8eb3d4a.jpg

Edited by Aidansmom

Not dominance. Just delicious smells and not knowing that Thou Shalt Not Respond To Delicious Smells Indoors.

We've never used a belly band. We supervise closely and take out frequently until the "outdoors only" habit sinks in :) . If the dog is OK in a crate, we will crate when nobody can supervise -- for example, when taking a shower :lol . Otherwise, watch watch watch and when the leg starts to lift etc., it's "AH-AH" followed quickly by a cheerful "Let's go OUT!" and convey the dog outdoors, praise there when potty has been achieved.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

The one I made looks similar to Aidansmom's. It's a long rectangle of fabric with some velcro, and then I use one of the extra absorbent overnight pads that I stick to the fabric to minimize the need for washing. The boys wear belly bands when we go over to a certain friends house; she periodically watches her aunt's dog who pees on the carpet every single time. My friend's tried valiantly to get all the smell out of the carpet, but there's just enough left for the boys to think it's okay to go. They won't go with the belly bands on though; I've never seen River look so desperate as when he's wearing the belly band and has to go!

If I can make one, you definitely can. Give it a shot!