Diarrhea: My Fault?

vjui

OMG. The saga never ends. Most of you know about Frappuccino who was diagnosed with meningitis. Welll she went through a period of anorexia where she didn't eat anything. The poor thing looked cachetic: ribs sticking out, all fur and bones. In an attempt to boost her appetite, we started doing boiled chicken and rice or potatoes. Nico, our other greyhound ( 11 years old) started turning up his nose at his kibble because he "wanted what she's having". So I started butting maybe a 1/4 cup of the chicken/rice I not his kibble,(plus a spoonful of wet, mixed with water) just to appease him. Well, we are now about 3 weeks in, and now he has watery diarrhea. Oops. Too rich? What should I do? He did not touch his food this morning. Help!

Fast him for at least 1 meal and up to 2. Then slowly introduce the bland diet (boiled chicken, over cooked rice, no kibble), When we do the bland diet, we go from 2 feedings a day to 4-6 smaller feedings so that it's not as hard on his tummy. I also give Rocket a couple of saltines if he's really hungry when on the bland diet and starts begging. . He thinks he's getting treats.

When the stool is a little more formed (it will be small) then introduce a little kibble at a time with the bland.

Make sure that the rice is way overcooked for both pups. Lots of extra water and longer cooking time so that it's just short of mush. Regular rice is harder to digest, so overcooking will help with that. You can also use overcooked pasta.

if it continues beyond a day or two, then a visit and stool sample to the Vet might be in order as well as some Metronidazole which the vet will prescribe if needed.

Also, make sure he continues to drink. Dehydration is a risk with diarrhea.

Hope he;s better soon.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

OMG. The saga never ends. Most of you know about Frappuccino who was diagnosed with meningitis. Welll she went through a period of anorexia where she didn't eat anything. The poor thing looked cachetic: ribs sticking out, all fur and bones. In an attempt to boost her appetite, we started doing boiled chicken and rice or potatoes. Nico, our other greyhound ( 11 years old) started turning up his nose at his kibble because he "wanted what she's having". So I started butting maybe a 1/4 cup of the chicken/rice I not his kibble,(plus a spoonful of wet, mixed with water) just to appease him. Well, we are now about 3 weeks in, and now he has watery diarrhea. Oops. Too rich? What should I do? He did not touch his food this morning. Help!

I think that if Nico were going to have watery diarrhea from his diet additions it would happen much sooner than 3 weeks into it. A negative reaction to food happens in a matter of a couple of days. You got good advice about handling but I wonder if there's something else that he got into?

Edited by Feisty49

Thank you for the great advice! So far, so good. He had his first poop this evening and it was solid. We did the chicken and rice only. I thought about what you said and it makes sense. It might have been bad sardines of all things. Luckily it was only a tiny tiny bit, so hopefully it will all be good in a few days. Thank you so much!