Tramadol And Insomnia

Magic has been on Tramadol for his arthritis since Monday. Some of those nights, it has a sedative effect. Other nights, it has the opposite effect. Is that possible? He gets 2 pills with his breakfast and 2 with his supper.

It could be his picking up on my anxiety about some things and he just wants me with him. He also may sense that he may going to the Bridge sooner rather than later and wants to spend as much time with me as possible We only have each other.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

Talk to your vet about whether an alternative is possible, because Tramadol just doesn't suit some dogs and it sounds to me as if Magic may be one of them. Doc has been taking it for yonks for his arthritis, and fortunately he tolerates it well, but I remember being told by my vet when she first prescribed it to keep a careful eye on him, because it made some dogs (all breeds) very lethargic and miserable, but that if this was the case it would show up within a few days. I have also read on here of it making some greyhounds anxious and restless.

:grouphug for you and Magic. It is just me and Doc, too, and he is thirteen now and getting frail, so I do feel for you both.

Edited for sense, and to get Magic's name right!

Edited by DocsDoctor

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

It can have both effects, but I've not heard of it happeneing with the same dog. You might call your vet, just to double check the dosage. Toni weighs 74 pounds and take 1 1/2 pills every 6-8 hours.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Two of mine haven't done well on it - restless, panting, pacing, and whining all night.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Yes--he may get restless after the second dose. What dose timing are you doing??

He's getting it at breakfast time - between 6 and 7 am - and supper time - between 5 and 6:30 pm. He's getting 100 mg per dose.

I spoke with one of the vet tech's. She suggested that Magic's doggie dementia may have a hand in this. She also suggested that I might be inadvertently causing the anxiety because there are things making me anxious.

I gave him one tablet this evening and he's sound asleep right now.

I posted the same question on Facebook and several people told me that they or their dogs had the same problems Magic is having. Magic was on tramadol 8 years ago after being attacked. I don't recall his having these problems then.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

Anyone see wobbliness with their hound on Tramadol?

Our Sidney is on it right now and he has become very wobbly the last few days, and his hind legs seems weak?????

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

He's getting it at breakfast time - between 6 and 7 am - and supper time - between 5 and 6:30 pm. He's getting 100 mg per dose.

I spoke with one of the vet tech's. She suggested that Magic's doggie dementia may have a hand in this. She also suggested that I might be inadvertently causing the anxiety because there are things making me anxious.

I gave him one tablet this evening and he's sound asleep right now.

I posted the same question on Facebook and several people told me that they or their dogs had the same problems Magic is having. Magic was on tramadol 8 years ago after being attacked. I don't recall his having these problems then.

That's more than I take! I take 50mg and when Bu needed it my vet said I could just share my prescription with him since it was the same dose. Bu is 85#. I don't know the Max dosage though (for dogs or people). It does make me tired. I don't think Bu ended up needing it so I can't remember his reaction.

I used to on Vicodin and I hated it. I never knew if it was going to make me high or knock me out. As in could barely walk, talk, or open my eyes. So I can see a medication doing it to a dog.

My last one, Angel, got very fast heart arrythmias with sudden big 'bumps' from it, that understandably made her restless so we had to stop using it. I've only found this referenced in human medicine though.

This was probably because she was old and had chronic renal failure meaning that the toxins from the Tramadol were building up in the system.

I hope you have plenty of quality time still to enjoy with Magic.

That's more than I take! I take 50mg and when Bu needed it my vet said I could just share my prescription with him since it was the same dose. Bu is 85#. I don't know the Max dosage though (for dogs or people). It does make me tired. I don't think Bu ended up needing it so I can't remember his reaction.

I used to on Vicodin and I hated it. I never knew if it was going to make me high or knock me out. As in could barely walk, talk, or open my eyes. So I can see a medication doing it to a dog.

Does sound like a high dosage. The hounds I give and gave it to only got 50mg twice a day. It was effective and had no side effects at that dosage on several of the hounds I have used it on. I would consider halving the dosage and seeing what results I get. 2 of my hounds took it like this for years with no ill effects whatsoever. Also have never observed any wobbles or unsteadiness 2greyhoundMINI in any of them at this dosage level as a result of it.

Hounds can have a lot more tramadol than people... 1 50mg tablet is sufficient (every 6hr) for my boy when he gets an injury (cut, stitches, etc), but for other grey's osteo pain management, my vet ok'd triple that dosage if needed (as part of a cocktail of meds to manage the pain).

If it works and doesn't have too many side effects (like restless pacing or comatose sleeping), then tramadol can offer a great pain management option on its own or as a complement to NSAIDs like deramaxx or rimadyl.