Bearbear

Guest kolegekreed

Guest kolegekreed

I posted on the health and wellness board looking some answers in regards to the very sudden loss of my four legged best friend. I thought it would be appropriate to leave a more detailed memorial here. I'm hopeful this link will bring everyone to the photobucket album with his pictures and at least one video. I will be gathering everything I can find and putting the items in this album:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kollegekreed/slideshow/Bear

We got Bear when he was 3 years 8 months old, right before Christmas in 2006. I had wanted a dog for years; and I had a particular interest in adopting and giving a greyhound a better life than he or she had experienced. We reached out to Greyhound Placement Services, located nearby in New Hampshire. I knew exactly what I wanted in a greyhound. I wanted a female, brindle colored medium sized dog. When we went to meet some candidates, the first dog they brought out was a female that didn't seem interested in us,

Michelle, the manager of GPS, brought out Stutz Bearcat second. Bear came right over, jumped up on me, and stood by me. He insisted we go for a walk. He was 76 pounds, at least six feet long, and his head could easily reach over and kitchen table. This was not what we bargained for; but he chose us. He adopted us, and we knew he belonged with us.

We shortened his name to Bear, and got him home. The GPS folks insisted to us that he would hide in his crate and need the protection of it. They said stairs would take a long time, and he would need months to adjust. After a couple weeks, Bear was barking at us and crying anytime we dared place him in the crate, and before long was sleeping in bed with me on the second floor. He acclimated to living with "people" almost immediately.

We were not conventional parents. Many would have some choice words for us on his 90 pounds weight and the amount of people food he got. But this was a happy dog no complaints, more love than he knew what to do with. We left him in a kennel exactly one week of his life; the rest of the time he was in his home, on his comfy bed with his Disney blanket in the corner. Except at Christmas, of course, when the tree took his spot and he didnt speak to us for days.

Bear was typical in some cases. He had the worst gas in the world; digestive issues from day one until the last day. He hated the vacuum with a passion, and it took him some time to get over loud noises and newspapers. Even this past weekend he ran from the grocery bags.

As he got older, we had to deal with a lot of arthritis. When he was 6, we brought him to be groomed at Petco and something happened there that resulted in a slipped disc in his spine. He lived with pain from this issue for the rest of his life; at the end, he took 6 pills most days for pain and muscle relaxers. He also took kidney medication as he had high protein almost from the day we got him. The vet said any other dog would have died years ago, but our boy stayed with us.

He was terrified of the vet. More urine and feces ended up on their waiting room floor than I care to remember. It hurts me inside that we had to leave him there this week for final arrangements.
He also hated thunderstorms, and fireworks. The vet actually prescribed Ativan for him several years ago because he would shake for hours and hours. I would learn to hate July 4th and all that came with it because of what it did to our boy.

We celebrated every birthday. He loved his cupcake-shaped doggie biscuit this past April 12th. He had a dozen stuffed animals that he didnt much care for, but every once in a while when he felt especially playful he would toss them around the room at you. Bear didnt fetchyou threw something, and he looked at you quixotically and waited for you to go and get it.

He loved milkbones. He loved rawhide bones. He especially loved beef marrow bones which my mother bought for him special at the supermarket and froze for a yummy treat. This set up some nightly arguments when he was ready for a new treat without finishing the old one. He especially loved the new meaty doggy food he got the last couple weeks mixed with his dry food.
And, oh, could Bear argue. He won, of course, most of the time. But he could have a 10 minute conversation back and forth with you until you gave in. He was spoiled. Dogs should be spoiled, and Im so thankful today that he was. This happened most often with me father; the least likely to give in (at least when other people were around)

Bear didnt win many races at Wonderland track in Boston; maybe about 10%, a little less perhaps, out of 70 or so runs. But boy, he could still make good time. He was running right up until the end, galloping from the backyard to the front yard like a puppy on Tuesday.

He liked to lay on the floor right next to my mothers recliner. If you stopped petting him, he would lift his head up and whine at you. He had a bed or blanket in three different rooms in the house. I cant count how many times he would spend 10 minutes moving his bed across the room, and sleeping on the floor NEXT to it. He was his own keeper; you didnt tell Bear what to do, you just helped keep him in the lifestyle he decided he should be accustomed to.

Tuesday night, September 9th, Bear was so playful. He threw his bone around; threw his toys around, and jumped up on me twice. We Wrestled a bit and jumped back and forth and I hugged him tight.
Wednesday Morning I heard him barking and whining and running back and forth and jumped out of bed assuming he had to go out. I found my mother putting him on a leash to go to the groomer. As I looked back now I cant help but wonder if he was saying goodbye. It crushes my soul that I didnt go the rest of the way down the stairs and give him a hug and a pat before they left.
He had a seizure at the groomer. My Mom was able to be with him for a short time afterwards and before he stopped breathing. She came home shortly later, devastated, and broke the news to me my beautiful boy had left us.

I thought that that must be as bad as it possibly gets. Here, two days later, Im so much sadder, so lost, and so confused. My brain is intent on following our routines and on believing he is still around. Every time I remember he isnt here is like learning for the first time all over again. Soul crushing sadness is the best way to describe it.

Im thankful for the time we had with him. Im thankful that we rescued him, and that he adopted us. Im thrilled that he was happy and energetic right up until the end. But, God, do I miss him. Im not sure anything will be right again. And why should it be? This was his world, we just lived in it. Now we have to learn to live with the memories instead of our furry friend.

Rest in Peace, Beautiful Boy April 12 2003-September 10th 2014

Edited by kolegekreed

That was a wonderful tribute to your handsome boy.

Run free, Bear. :f_white

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

What a wonderful tribute to beautiful Bear. I'm sorry you lost him, and in such a distressing, unexpected way. I don't know why things happen as they do, but I do know that Bear was one of the lucky ones to have such a loving home with you. I'm glad you spoiled him. :grouphug

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest Greyt_livin

So sorry your hurting over the loss of your beloved Bear and so tragic. Animals have a way of giving us so much happiness and love. Your tribute to him was beautifully done. Many tears and tissues after reading that. :brokenheart It sounds like you had the perfect Grey to me!

I loved the happy face picture with you on the porch with him. He had truly found is forever home.

Bear you had a very special family :angelwings watch over them!

Guest normaandburrell

So sorry for your loss. Bear sounds like my first grey who left us suddenly as well. Bear had a wonderful life with you, and you spoiled him only as much as he deserved. Run free, Bear. :gh_run2

I am so very sorry. I, too, have lost a dog unexpectedly and it is so very difficult. Wishing you peace and comfort.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I'm so sorry for your loss.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, sweet boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so very sorry for the loss of you sweet boy. It is evident by what you wrote how much he meant to you and how much he was loved. Greys are very special pups and losing them is devastating and only time dulls the pain. Your boy will always be with you.

Run free Bear, run free sweetie...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I feel like I know Beat from your lovely tribute. I'm so sorry.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

What a beautiful tribute to your handsome boy; both the pictures and the story of his life with you. God bless you for spoiling him and understanding him. He knows you love him and you will never forget him; you were all blessed.

Godspeed Bear.

Beautiful tribute to your beautiful Bear...I am so sorry for your loss.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

So many memories. Thank you for sharing so many of them in your time of grief. I am so very sorry for your loss.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

So very sorry for the unexpected loss of your handsome bear.

You shared some wonderful times together..... Remember them always, and smile......

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg