At Vet With Brees -- Leg -- Looking Good!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder if that beer is still any good?

I chugged it while I unlocked the door. It was in a koozie, so it was still cold-ish.

As she comes off the heavy meds, she's acting more like herself. She's still in pain, but bossing her Daddy around whenever he stops petting her. I had a twin mattress in the attic, so one of us will be sleeping on that in the living room until she's cleared for stairs.

The vets must think I abuse my dogs. Seriously. A week and a half ago, Joe was in for stitches. A few weeks before that, rabies shots for both because of a disemboweled critter in the yard. The month before, a UTI. Etc, etc. They're gonna get repo'd!

Sending good thoughts for your sweet Brees. :goodluck:hope

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

OK. Just speed read this thread about as fast as I could scroll!

Glad things seem to have settled down. I didn't see anything on the xrays that looked like osteo, though I'm no expert, for sure.

Tramadol every 6-8 hours as she can tolerate it. It might make her agitated and/or whiney and/or unconscious! ;)

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

An ACL thingy wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Maggie had a partial ACL tear a few years ago and recovered beautifully. Hope she's on the mend soon. Wishing you and your girly a quiet night.

I chugged it while I unlocked the door. It was in a koozie, so it was still cold-ish.

I'm glad you gave us the OBU (opened beer update). Just leaving it unattended - like, abandoning it - could be considered alcohol abuse punishable by stiff fines in some states.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

That is great news!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Great news! :clap

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Thanks for all the support yesterday. I was out. of. my. mind.

She's much better now that the shot has worn off. Still in pain, but being bossy. Her Daddy slept on a mattress on the living room with her last night, and is planning to do that again tonight. She's upset she can't go upstairs, where she belongs. I *love* that I have a husband who insisted he be the one to stay with her. We are so lucky to have him.

Both dogs have tech visits for shots Tuesday morning. I'll change hers to a follow up.

She won't potty on leash in the yard. We have to go to the vacant lot across the street. No big deal, but kids play there, and I'd rather she not "go" where children play. Working on it.

She's subdued. Didn't get up when we came home from work today. Not eating or drinking properly, but she'll eat PopTarts with Rimadyl stuffed inside. It's weird to see her so calm. Joe is jealous of all the attention she's getting. Last weekend was his turn, the beast!

Hope she's continuing to do well. Good luck with the yard potty training. and getting her to eat/drink more. Since she seems to have a sweet tooth, have you tried her on the regular Ensure/Boost type of supplement? Many dogs will lap that up.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest SaltiDawg

Hi Riverhound,

I am a total newby, just having applied to adopt our first Greyhound. However I am an experienced (English) Bulldogger with some owner experience with torn ACL's in my girls.

Are torn ACL's common with Greyhounds?

My two experiences with torn ACLs were the dog was running straight ahead full speed and tried to turn 90 degrees. In one case surgery was required, in the other case lots of rest and no jumping (up on couch.)

I hope your dog mends quickly! My Vet did not actually perform the surgery himself, he brought in his "ACL Surgeon." (My Vet operates a 24/7 Vet Hospital.)

JOY-ACLBandage1.jpg

Edited by SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg, from what I understand, torn ACLs are uncommon in greyhounds, but do happen. Brees had a career ending injury that I understand was nasty, but I haven't been able to get her full records. That said, her leg seems to be feeling much better, but she had massive diarrhea this morning and I just came home to puke puddles-- not sure which dog, but voting for her.

I have a call in to the vet, but am assuming she comes off the Rimadyl now and goes back on Tramadol. She gets pretty out of it on the stuff, but that might be better for the leg, anyway.

As Mary Pat noted, keeping her under control is, well, difficult.