Greyhound Regurgitates When Drinking Water

Guest jettcricket

Guest jettcricket

Hi All....I have a friend who has a 7 year old male greyhound. About a month ago when drinking moderate to large amounts of water he regurgitates the water and will do a lot of reverse sneezing. First I thought maybe he has an obstruction. He doesn't do it with food only water. He's acting normal and has no other symptoms although he has lost a bit of weight and has been a bit fussy with food. Don't know if that's just a separate issue. When she adds ground meat or chicken he eats with no problem. She did take him to the vet and they couldn't find anything. If it continues, she will take him back to possibly have x-rays done. King's Mom and Dad are a bit worried about their boy.

TIA for any input or ideas as to what could be going on with King.

Edited by jettcricket

All of my dogs have done this (drinking water and burping it upright away, and reverse sneezing) at one time or another, some more, some less. I've never worried about it. But I assume it *could* be indicative of some other, more serious issues - some problem with the upper digestive tract, stomach issues, high hernia, esophageal problems, laryngeal paralysis.

The two issues *could* be related, or not. Hard to know one way or another.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest normaandburrell

My dogs seem to do almost anytime they drink too fast. Does the dog have access to fresh water all the time, so it doesn't have to drink too much at once?

Guest jettcricket

My dogs seem to do almost anytime they drink too fast. Does the dog have access to fresh water all the time, so it doesn't have to drink too much at once?

He's not my dog so I don't know. Knowing his owners I'd say yes, that he does have access. He's 7 years old and this problem started about a month ago.

My only thought is drinking water too fast, at least large amounts. Katie will throw up a little water if she drinks too much.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

My Tess did that and we thought the same as all you guys. Turned out we were very wrong. She has two tumors in her lungs.

She would still play and eat greyt but I would catch her panting and laying down very slowly. She would stop panting when she saw me looking at her. We took her to the vet and were getting ready for a dental. They did xrays and called us to come down and talk to the vet. She one tumor the size of a grapefruit and the other smaller. There was nothing they could do for her so she didn't come home. Still miss the beautiful girl. She 11years old. Scares the day lights out of me when I hear of others doing this. That was really her only symptom.

Ruth in Idaho

When Leo gets anxious he'll drink too much and throw up, if I let him. He's perfectly healthy and has fresh water available, it's just one of his things.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I worry about the dog in the original post because this is a sudden thing rather than something that has happened off and on all along. That plus the weight loss makes me think "vet visit."

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest jettcricket

I worry about the dog in the original post because this is a sudden thing rather than something that has happened off and on all along. That plus the weight loss makes me think "vet visit."

She did take him to the vet....they couldn't find anything obvious. He's been a bit fussy with food...I'm boarding him now and he's eating good for me. His owners will take him back if it persists for further testing. Worries me too a bit. King is a nice boy and he's only 7. I've had him since Thursday morning....he regurgitated one time since he's been here. Yesterday he was good...we'll see how today goes.

How is King doing today. Tess didn't get sick every time she drank at first and we have no idea how long the problem actually was on going. She had a history of bad teeth so that's why we thought her weight loss was happening. She lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks. That's why we had a dental scheduled for her. Six months before that she was fine and there was no indication of anything.

Ruth in Idaho

Guest jettcricket

How is King doing today. Tess didn't get sick every time she drank at first and we have no idea how long the problem actually was on going. She had a history of bad teeth so that's why we thought her weight loss was happening. She lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks. That's why we had a dental scheduled for her. Six months before that she was fine and there was no indication of anything.

Ruth in Idaho

I had King from Thursday to yesterday and the boy was fine! Drank water and ate with no problem. King's owners are just going to keep a close eye on him.

Guest jettcricket

Heard from King's owners yesterday morning. Boy throw up again. They took him to the vet and they did an x-ray....they see something suspicious. Possible mass. Never thought it would be something like this. They are going to do an ultrasound tomorrow morning. Please keep King in your thoughts and prayers. I'm very worried about him. :(

Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks for the update I hope things turn out good with the ultrasound. Fingers and toes and paws crossed for a good report.

Please keep us posted. Just really worried about that guy. He reminds me of my Buck that we lost to Osteo.

Ruth in Idaho

Guest jettcricket

Update on King.....the ultrasound showed no abnormalities!! :yay What they thought was a mass was a shadow on the x-ray. They just think that he has a sensitive belly and recommended Hills Science Diet (not crazy about Hills Science diet - heard it's not the best dog food), but if it will help him so be it. So happy for King and his family!!! :banana