First Time Adopter

Guest Acatherine

Guest Acatherine

Hello! My name is Amanda and I am a first time Greyhound adopter. Our girl will be arriving next weekend so we are preparing for her arrival. She was one of only two dogs that tested to be "Cat Safe" as we have a bangle cat. I have been reading "Retired racing greyhound for dummies", but if anyone has any tips or advise for a first time adopter, please feel free to share!

First congratulations and Welcome. Introducing dogs and cats is never the same twice, but here are some basics. Always introduce your dog to a cat with a muzzle and on leash. Make sure the cat has an escape route. Also some people recommend introducing them through a gate to keep both of them safe. Even though the dog tested cat safe a lot can depend on your cat's reaction to the dog. If it were me I'd err on the side of caution and keep them separated when you are not home to watch them. And remember, just because the dog is muzzled doesn't mean it can't hurt the cat.

Now after all that I hope everything goes smoothly. Many dogs and cats can get along and some become best buddies!

Guest Acatherine

Thank you for the tips! I'm trying to be positive about this but I have to admit I'm a little worried. I wonder, if after some time it seems that they are okay together, can they be kept in the house together without seperation when we are out? Or will we have to keep them separeted when we are out for the rest of their lives?

Thank you for the tips! I'm trying to be positive about this but I have to admit I'm a little worried. I wonder, if after some time it seems that they are okay together, can they be kept in the house together without seperation when we are out? Or will we have to keep them separeted when we are out for the rest of their lives?

Welcome!

Many if not most will say they should always be separated. I've never separated my Greyhound and cat except for the first day when they were introduced. Annie, my Greyhound, has no prey drive. She has no interest in cats, the bunnies outside or the squirrels in the trees. My cat was 11 when Annie came into the house and she wasn't interested in a play mate so the cat also ignored Annie except for an occasional sharing of Annie's bed. The neighbor's two cats that wander the neighborhood come up to Annie on our walks and rub against her legs. She ignores them. I tell her she's a disgrace to sight hounds! LOL

I think that after a while (days?? weeks?? -- up to you) you'll be able to judge if they are safe not being separated.

My first greyhound was fine with my cats from the moment he first stepped into the house. Never a problem and never a need for separation. My second greyhound tested cat safe at the kennel, but was not in reality. We did *a lot* of work with him and after about 4 months, we could trust him uncrated around the cats, even when we weren't home. So yes, it's absolutely do-able if your dog is, in fact, cat trainable :)

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I did everything wrong with my first greyhound. :lol I just kind of trusted that the adoption group was right, and that he was "cat safe." I didn't muzzle him or do any type of cat-training. It worked out fine. He's a perfect gentleman with the cats. OTOW, there are "cat safe" dogs and there are "cat trainable/workable/curious" dogs. I also had a foster kill a cat, which was mostly my fault because I let my guard down too easily. So to answer your question... it depends. Hopefully you'll end up with a dog who is "cat oblivious," but I definitely suggest using a muzzle and doing cat-training, at least in the beginning. Better safe than sorry.

Guest Acatherine

Thanks for the feedback. I will definitely take all precautions (muzzle during first introduction and crate during our absense, etc) but it's good to know that there's hope of them being safe together in the future. Fingers crossed they get along...or ignore each other, either way!

I was very nervous about Sweep with my two cats, because while she tested cat-safe at the track, she was not fostered with cats and once spent a weekend at a home with cats where apparently she was more interested than the owner was comfortable with. So I waited until I was 99% positive that they would all be fine before I left them loose alone together when I was not home. That took me a year and a half. :lol We all have different risk thresholds, so it's just a matter of what yours is. I am lucky in that Sweep has always crated easily, and I work from home so could observe their interactions a lot. They are not cuddly with each other and in fact she will growl if they even think about coming near her bed, but I know she is not going to hurt them. It depends on the cat as well; confident cats who stand their ground (or even get in a swat or two) can go a long way toward training the dog. Two years in, Sweep will still not pass my 16-pound boy Henry on the stairs, and he relishes his role as gatekeeper.

Best of luck to you! You've already read a helpful book and found a great resource here, so you're off to a good start. Looking forward to your updates.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

If you're looking for another book to read having finished up Dummies, I recommend Cynthia Branigan's "Adopting the Racing Greyhound" (we have the third edition) and Patricia McConnell's "The Other End of the Leash." These were both recommended to us by our adoption group. The first one offers good counterpoints to some of the advice dispensed in Dummies, and the second one is universally regarded as the best way to understand the psyche of dogs in a pack that will soon include you. Not sure but both might have specific cat-and-greyhound-cohabitation advice.

Good luck and can't wait to see some photos! If you have specific questions after your new rooer gets home, please feel free to post often!

Drew and occasionally DW Melody, with Rosie (AMF Ready Made) and Marvin (Bella Riddick) in Louisville. Forever missing Brooks (KC Bastone) and Kali (Swish).

Guest AimeeBee

If you're looking for another book to read having finished up Dummies, I recommend Cynthia Branigan's "Adopting the Racing Greyhound" (we have the third edition) and Patricia McConnell's "The Other End of the Leash." These were both recommended to us by our adoption group. The first one offers good counterpoints to some of the advice dispensed in Dummies, and the second one is universally regarded as the best way to understand the psyche of dogs in a pack that will soon include you. Not sure but both might have specific cat-and-greyhound-cohabitation advice.

Both of these books are fantastic resources and I recommend them to anyone thinking of adopting a grey. Also, even if your potential dog tested "cat-safe" you probably want to muzzle with a basket/kennel muzzle for the first day (or couple of days) just to let everyone get settled.

Enjoy and remember :rules:digicam

Guest Johberry

Hello and welcome from a fellow first-time adopter!

As already suggested, Branigan's book helped me prepare and I just ordered two of McConnell's books via Amazon. Can't wait to see pictures when your grey arrives. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Acatherine

So Pam arrived on Sunday and she has settled in so quick! We love her. She is sweet, comfortable, and seems to be enjoying her new home.

We introduced her to our cat with her leash and muzzle on and she seemed a little excited (ears up, tail wagging), the cat got some leverage on the counter and when Pam got too close she gave her a hiss and a good swat. After touring the house we brought her back near the cat and Pam started looking away, almost a little intimidated of the cat, which is good! After that we have not encountered any issues. Three nights in a row they slept in our bedroom with us in their respective beds! Harmony!

We will of course remain cautious and we crate the dog while we are out to be secure, but we are hoping to have her out of the crate in about a month, as recommended by our adoption group.

Sorry, just couldn't figure out how to attach a pic to this post.

We also got a few books as per your recommendations. Thanks!