New Dog Has Fleas? Maybe?

Guest JackieJormpJomp

Guest JackieJormpJomp

Sonic came home on Saturday and since then I've been getting mysterious red itchy bug bites all over my legs. We're talking maybe 10-15 bites. They kind of look like mosquito bites and are grouped together in twos and threes. At first I panicked and thought bed bugs, but an inspection by an exterminator yielded nothing (and he really looked - I mean he flipped over all my furniture and even inspected the frames). He mentioned we're having a bad season for fleas and to maybe consider that as the cause of my bites. I've also noticed a few red, inflamed rashes by Sonic's tail and in her groin area on the insides of her back legs and she keeps chewing on those spots. I took a flashlight and inspected her skin and couldn't really see anything, but I imagine it's difficult to spot little black bugs on a black dogs. So now I'm worried the poor girl picked up fleas outside and they're feasting on the two of us. She's on Sentinel, which I believe is also a flea preventative, but I'm still a newbie at this so I'm not sure if it's effective against adult fleas or what.

I'm going to get her into the vet as soon as I can (she needed one anyways, just for a new owner checkup). I'm also going to wash all our linens, purchase Borax for the throw rugs, and vacuum everything. Is there a topical treatment I can use on her in the meantime? I'm also going to get a little comb and start flea combing her.

I just want us both to stop being so itchy!

Sure sounds like fleas. Frontline is safe for greys. Also, Capstar, the Capstar is a small pill that kills the fleas in about an hour! It doesn't prevent them from coming back, but the Frontline will. We just "aquired" some fleas from a friend's dog. UGH! We first used the Frontline, and then a friend said to use the Capstar. The vet agreed, He had us give them one pill and then we are to use the Frontline every three weeks until all signs of fleas are gone. Capstar only kills the adult fleas. Use both. Good luck!!

Edited by boopieface

Aljo Atomic Kogo and DC Man of Steal

Guest Greyt_livin

I can't say what it might be but when I brought Ryan home a couple months ago he was also shaking his head a lot and biting at himself. I did take him to the vet to do a quick wellness check up and asked about his itching. They had told me that changing food will take time & being in a new place can bring about his itching. He has quite itching like he use. It takes time for their body to adjust to a new place & food and also treats. I put him on the flea treatment the month after I got him to have both mine a the same schedule. As for you maybe walking you got bit yourself. Cortizone-10 cream works well for me.

Guest JackieJormpJomp

It be really nice if bugs could evolve to the point where they leave calling cards on their bites. "Yes hello, it was I, a flea, who bit you and your dog. You may reach me at xxx-xxx-xxxx. For your records, I have developed an immunity to XYZ flea treatment. Have a nice day."

Check with your vet as to whether you can use Sentinel (keeps fleas from maturing and breeding) with Comfortis (kills fleas). I believe you can but best to make sure. Comfortis is like Capstar, except that Comfortis lasts for a whole month.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I agree that it sounds like you are describing chigger bites on your legs, but also agree that it sounds like fleas on the dog. Are you in a chigger prone area? I have chigger bites from spring to late fall here. Right now my legs are are mess. However, I have five greys with no problems. It could be a run of bad luck with flea bites on the dog, and chigger bites on you. I haven't had flea bites in over ten years, but they always appeared as flat circles on me, not raised. I would treat the house and dog for fleas. Good luck!

Guest JackieJormpJomp

I agree that it sounds like you are describing chigger bites on your legs, but also agree that it sounds like fleas on the dog. Are you in a chigger prone area? I have chigger bites from spring to late fall here. Right now my legs are are mess. However, I have five greys with no problems. It could be a run of bad luck with flea bites on the dog, and chigger bites on you. I haven't had flea bites in over ten years, but they always appeared as flat circles on me, not raised. I would treat the house and dog for fleas. Good luck!

I don't think we have chiggers in my area. I live in an urban area in Michigan. Or maybe we do have them but I've just never heard of them?

Check with your vet as to whether you can use Sentinel (keeps fleas from maturing and breeding) with Comfortis (kills fleas). I believe you can but best to make sure. Comfortis is like Capstar, except that Comfortis lasts for a whole month.

My vet (Grassmere) has prescribed them together and we've had no issues.

I'm a big fan of Comfortis, even though it's kind of a pain to give it--must taste really disgusting because I have to drown it in canned cat food for Sweep to swallow it. It's also important to give it right after a meal because it can cause nausea and/or vomiting otherwise. (And it's not cheap, so you don't want them to throw it up!)

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest JackieJormpJomp

Oh no!! I just pulled a bug off of her. I think it's a tick.

I laundered all our stuff on high heat settings, applied K8 Advantix to her fur, and vacuumed the entire house. Sat down to relax and noticed a red rashy spot on her belly. Upon further inspection there was a bug at the center of the rash biting her! I pulled it off and it's teeny tiny. It looks like it's maybe black/brown and white on the body with a reddish head? It moved super fast across my hand when I picked it off. I saved it in a plastic baggy to give to the vet on Monday (soonest they could get me in). What the heck is on my poor pup? How soon until the Advantix kicks in?

I'm just going to post.... don't panic.

The Advantix will kick in relatively quickly, and it is what I use (the ONLY thing that kills paralysis ticks, which are an Australian thing, so don't google them and panic. Sonic does NOT have a paralysis tick).

To speed things up, a bath in flea medicated shampoo might work, but check with others on here about which ones work for greys. The ones here will be different