Remedies Needed For Dry Mouth

Guest Energy11

Guest Energy11

Good Day!

Well, now that 12.5 yr old Oakly is on Trazadone at bedtime, and if we stick to a definite schedule, he seems to be sleeping better at night without the pacing, barking, anxiety, etc. Now, however, he has bad dry mouth, which is a side effect of the Trazadone. *I tried popcicles, but he won't eat them. He will only drink water when it in his food (*we put a lot in to help him eat. twice a day).

Because he isn't human and cannot chew gum or suck hard candies, remedies given to humans, I was wondering if any of you have come across this problem with some of the drugs or even chemo, and if so, what you did for this?

As always, your help and advice is always greytly appreciated!

Dee, with Oakly and Curfew, both 12.5. My golden oldies!

Guest IrskasMom

First of all ........ I wanted to say, we have missed you . Then maybe you could enhance Water with some Pedialite or some Ensure . Maybe he is more tempted to drink outside the Foodbowl. .

Edited by IrskasMom

I think something like Petzlife Dental Spray would stimulate saliva whenever it's sprayed into the mouth, while providing moisture on its own. I'm sure there are other brands too.

It is nice to see you here again.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Energy11

First of all ........ I wanted to say, we have missed you . Then maybe you could enhance Water with some Pedialite or some Ensure . Maybe he is more tempted to drink outside the Foodbowl. .

Thank you. I stopped coming her for a variety of reasons. I still do follow GT on Facebook, though. My vet JUST emailed me a list of things I can use. I will check these out and post some later. I was going to try the Biotene, but was aware of the artificial sweetners. :(

Dee, here's the link for Oratene. They've got a spray, gel, and water additive.

http://www.entirelypets.com/biotene-for-dogs.html

"...Does not contain Xylitol, alcohol, chlorhexidine or chlorine compounds"

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I have Sjögren's syndrome, which is am autoimmune disorder that causes dry mouth as well as dry everything really. As far as I know, all the gum, toothpaste, sprays, etc for dry mouth contain artificial sweeteners. (I'm allergic, so I'm very careful.) There are some medications, including salogin (sp?), that are supposed to help with the dry mouth. I tried 2 and both made me vomit, but everyone is different. I also don't know if they're safe for dogs. For me, I can drink 1-2 glasses of water and it can somehow make my mouth water. The biggest thing I hear is to drink a lot slowly throughout the day. Maybe try feeding him either wet food or some kibble or treats in water a few times throughout the day.

There is something called Biotene that cancer patients use for dry mouth caused by chemo. It worked well for my mother, but you would have to check with your vet to see if it was OK for dogs.

I would second the Biotene. I used it through my chemo and I thought it worked great! Dont really think it would be approved for dogs though.

Guest Energy11

Dee, here's the link for Oratene. They've got a spray, gel, and water additive.

http://www.entirelypets.com/biotene-for-dogs.html

"...Does not contain Xylitol, alcohol, chlorhexidine or chlorine compounds

Thanks, Ducky.

I am going to try it. Couldn't hurt. It is like he just ate peanut butter. Poor guy can't eat dry treats, so I got him a bunch of soft treats, and we have always added canned food and water to his kibble.