Foster Greyhound With High Prey Drive

So im currently Fostering a greyhound that has a super high prey drive and I was told he was cat friendly. Go figure I have 2 cats that he is constantly interested in. He muzzled all the time when in the house with the cats because he chases, snaps and looks for them all the time. He is never left unsupervised with the cats. Ive only experienced 2 times with the past 6 greys ive owned. He gets corrected with "no or leave it" and the water bottle has to be used from time to time if hes not listening. Im willing to work with him until he finds his forever home. It seems to be working. However im open to any suggestions that anyone has that may help more? Or any thoughts that may help others dealing with this?

Kristen mom to-

Sp FancyPants (Fanny)- 4.20.12 Adopted 3.8.14

Rico's Maggie (Maggie)- 12.3.12 Adopted 1.21.15

Guest AimeeBee

I wouldn't call a grey who "chases, snaps, and looks for them all the time" cat friendly. It does sound very frustrating for him, for you, and for your cats as AmberGusDad said. Having spent time with a cat-zapper in a house with a cat, it was no fun for anyone. George was constantly in "go" mode and was always stressed that he couldn't get to his prey. Muzzles can help but the dogs can still do damage with them on. Maybe your adoption group can move him to a home without cats?

I wish I could help you or your group out if you guys are lacking cat-free placements. Unfortunately I'm not in a situation at the moment where I'm able to foster again.

Edited by AimeeBee

:( I actually called this rescue this evening. I just feel like a horrible person. I mean I know there is never given when you when you foster that this will not happen. I feel bad this is my first foster experience and this happened. Plus this is only day 3. His behavior just continues and continues. It seemed to get better some from the first day. But he stalks the cats and looks for the all the time when they are around.

Kristen mom to-

Sp FancyPants (Fanny)- 4.20.12 Adopted 3.8.14

Rico's Maggie (Maggie)- 12.3.12 Adopted 1.21.15

:( I actually called this rescue this evening. I just feel like a horrible person. I mean I know there is never given when you when you foster that this will not happen. I feel bad this is my first foster experience and this happened. Plus this is only day 3. His behavior just continues and continues. It seemed to get better some from the first day. But he stalks the cats and looks for the all the time when they are around.

You can't have that. You did the right thing.

My Brees would be on high alert and stressed all the time if she was in a home with cats. I would never do that to her.

I just got a foster in because she was trying to eat the cats at her other foster house. They called her cat tolerant, but she wasn't. It's not a good situation for anyone when a dog is placed in that kind of situation. Please don't feel bad or like a failure. It is what it is and it's the nature of these amazing sight hounds. Save your cats, your sanity and the hound and move him.

Guest AimeeBee

You did the right thing, please don't feel like a failure. This kind of thing happens and adoption groups should know/be prepared for it. I really believe that the right placement is out there for every dog -- there is likely a truly "cat-friendly" grey just waiting for a foster home to show them all about home life.

And the adoption group will be glad that they discovered that he is not cat friendly BEFORE they adopted him out to a family and called him cat friendly.

Qui me amat, amet et canes meas...et felem.

Olivia (RDs Merrygoround, b. 4/6/07, Gotcha 12/19/11

Chloe (PAR Candice, b. 5/22/08, Gotcha 12/18/12)

Guest AmberGusDad

Kristen, foster persons are never "horrible." On the contrary, they are almost always "heroes."

As to this being your first foster experience, I am very sorry that it was an improper placement (I don't mean to imply that it was intentional).

I hope that you will continue to foster. The greyhounds surely need the calibre of person that you apparently are.