Red Sores On Tail And Backside

Guest wannagrey

Guest wannagrey

One of our greys has been panting, then noticed he started chewing at his tail and top of his back. We don't have a fence so dogs are never off lead. There is not any question of fleas. Found red angry sore spots on him. Took him to the vet and they can't find anything. He is on prednisone, an antibiotic, spray and special stuff to bathe him in. Tonight it has started on second greyhound. Nothing on our little dog so far. Has anyone experienced this? I have a picture but I don't know how to upload it.

Possibly a hot spot? See images of dog hot spots here. https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&es_sm=122&biw=1280&bih=675&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=dog+hot+spots&oq=dog+hot+spots&gs_l=img.3..0l10.27435.27959.0.28697.3.3.0.0.0.0.118.333.0j3.3.0....0...1c.1.53.img..1.2.224.RCwHeKJs9yI

To upload a picture use Photobucket and cut and paste the IMG link into your post.

There are some users who check this section regularly who are very experienced greyhound people. They will be along eventually with some suggestions. it sometimes takes a little longer on the weekends.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Chewing around the base of the tail and the top of the lower back are classic signs of flea allergic dermatitis, especially if more than one dog in the home is affected. IMO, with signs like that, it's fleas until proven otherwise, and I treat for a suspected flea allergy. Some dogs are so sensitive to fleas that even picking up 1 or 2 on a walk can set off that reaction, and you may never find the fleas. What flea control product are you currently using?

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I'm with Jennifer: I'd assume it was fleas.

Why do you say there's no question of fleas? Just because they're never off lead doesn't mean they can't pick them up. Fleas wait around in the grass or anywhere any infested animal has paused, sat or slept, so if you have any kind of wild or domestic animal in your neighbourhood, there will probably be fleas. Ours pick them up over the fields from foxes and rabbits, but you can also find them in grass verges, front yards, public parks or anywhere another dog has been for more than a few minutes. They can even hitch-hike from one warm body to another while the owners are chatting - remember that fleas are phenomenal jumpers!

If I were you, I'd get a flea comb, dampen it, run it through his fur on the back of his neck and at the base of his tail multiple times then wipe it on a bit of white tissue. If you see black dots or streaks of red, you have fleas. If you do, this could well be an allergy and getting rid of the fleas should help a lot. :)

Oh, and for a picture, you can use a picture hosting site like Flickr or Photobucket, then you can hotlink it with the 'IMG' tag.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Chewing around the base of the tail and the top of the lower back are classic signs of flea allergic dermatitis, especially if more than one dog in the home is affected. IMO, with signs like that, it's fleas until proven otherwise, and I treat for a suspected flea allergy. Some dogs are so sensitive to fleas that even picking up 1 or 2 on a walk can set off that reaction, and you may never find the fleas. What flea control product are you currently using?

Yep. It doesn't have to be a full blown infestation. One or two fleas can wreak havoc if they have a flea allergy. It happened to one of my indoor-only cats. I absolutely couldn't believe it at first, but the symptoms cleared up in no time with Advantage and an antihistamine.

I agree--classic "OMG, there is a flea on my butt" behavior.

No flea product is 100% effective, and it's not some sort of knock on your dog "parenting" abilities, but it is most likely fleas.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck