Alternative To An E-Collar For An Incision Above One Eye

phall

My 11 year old girl, Faye, will be having some surgery on Thursday to remove a small lump above one eye. She will be coming home with an e-collar. I hate those things, and Faye is a spook so this will be especialy difficult for her. Does anyone have any ideas on alternatives to the e-collar that will prevent her from scratching/rubbing the incision with her foot? As mentioned, the incision is just above one eye.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Pat Hall

Ayer, MA

Ruby de-gloved part of her ear a couple of years ago and I used a very large human bandage ... 2" x 4".

Surprisingly it stuck .... and she left it alone.

I suppose its in an awkward spot so that you can't just wrap around her head ...over her ear? .... with vet wrap??

:goodluck

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Some dogs just don't seem to bother with incisions if they are in a location that they can't lick. I am like you, I hate e-collars, they really seem to spook and confuse the dog. I have also used human band-aids when all else has failed. Teague had a patch of leg shaved recently for an IV and he has started licking a small patch raw. He hates wraps around his legs and paces and whines, so I just ended up sticking a large human Band-Aid on it. I do it loosely so that the unsticky part in the middle lets in a lot of air flow to the wound/incision.

Edited to add: I don't know how successful this would be if the incision is right over the eye...sorry didn't read that clearly.

Edited by RedHead

I ask the tech's not to shave my hounds legs for IV's. Just put them in the vein. That way they do not lick and lick the site. It will cause a terrible sore from the licking..just a thought. On the e-collar question: I have a blow up collar for my hounds, the only thing is I have never used it..I would be glad to mail it to you. Please e-mail me privately if you think you want to try it. I think it is made by Kong.

Thanks, everyone, for your advice. I expect Faye will try to scratch it as it heals as she's an "ear/eye rubber" anyhow. She often paws her ears and eyes when she's laying down. I think I'll take the e-collar they give me, but cut it way back as tbhounds suggested. And I'll pick up some large non-stick band-aids to try as well. Thanks, Walliered, for offering to mail you your blow up collar. I just heard that a friend has one, so I can borrow hers.

Thanks again, everyone, for your help.

Pat

Get a tube sock and cut the foot off and put it on her like a snood. If she needs her ears out, cut slits for them. If you need to keep it from sliding, then just a smidge of paper tape (you'll find it in the drug store), it's adhesive is very weak. Or get rubber cement, put strips on a piece of hard plastic to dry. When it dries, it's soft and rubbery. Put that between the sock and head. It'll be less likely to slide anywhere.