The Honest Kitchen?

Guest DeniseL

Guest DeniseL

Anyone heard of this food? it's powdered and dehydrated, comes in a big box and you mix it with water before serving.

We were at NGAP last week and they always have tons of food there for free, donations that they get and dispense. There were a bunch of boxes so we grabbed one. Tried a little tonight with kibble and everyone seemed to like it.

http://www.thehonestkitchen.com

We had a 3yo foster who could not eat anything without bloody poop. After sensitivity testing only white fish or kangaroo was almost tolerable. He went on "THRIVE" and was much better. He was adopted knowing of is IBD. It was sloppy to eat but went down well.

I have tried the sample boxes before. My non-grey Karma LOVES it, Teague won't touch it. As you probably noticed, it would be insanely expensive to feed on its own, so I use as a mix-in or occasional treat. I don't know what formula you had, but mine was a greenish colour, and had bits of green dried veggie in it. The smell/look actually reminded me of my rabbit food. A lot of pups seem to do really well on it though, especially those with tummy sensitivities.

Edited by RedHead

Guest DeniseL

The box we took is Zeal, with fish. Is it expensive?! I didn't even look at that on their website. The boxes there they give away for free. Maybe I will go back and get another haha

I think I will just continue to sprinkle on their kibble. Izzy always needs an add on to her kibble....she is picky.

Omg I just looked it up. That box was $100!!! I had no idea. Wow I think I will keep it as a special treat.

Well, dogfood is generally more expensive here, but I think a box is $50-60. It is about the size of a cereal box, and since you have to feed larger amounts when feeding fresh foods, I would imagine it would be expensive. I get the little sample boxes which are about $2-3. As I said, my one pup absolutely loves it. It makes a nice gravy when you sprinkle it over kibble with some warm water. :)

Guest DeniseL

Well make sure you keep your eyes out for it. It was a 10 pound box and they had a table of them. I didn't know what it was was when I grabbed it. Wellness bars are a big hit here....we got some last month. I have been trying to treat with apples and carrots, though. It's a constant battle with Miami's love handles. :)

Guest greyhound_in_LA

On this other dog forum I belong to, we talked about The Honest Kitchen, and buyers of it basically said that there's a lot of plant in it, and their dogs got voluminous and more frequent poops (like 5-6 per day). I was thinking about switching to it, but after reading that thread, I am glad I didn't. I also don't want to pay so much every month for what is a lot of plant that I could just buy myself for a BARF diet.

Denise,

If you are looking for something similar check out Grandma Lucy's. The Artisan formula is the same thing as The Honest Kitchen. I've mixed anywhere from a couple of tablespoons up to half a cup in their kibble and everything in the bowl would disappear. Our local private owned pet store stocks it. I've never seen in carried in the chain pet stores. I can give you a sample of the chicken - that's what I have here now. Or I can even pick up a bag for you. Link won't post, I'll PM you.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15