Waterworks Question

I'm just wondering if any of this rings any bells with anyone and if I need to be concerned. This is the second time this has happened with Johnny, the first time a couple of months ago. Back then we had done a very long (3 hour) walk in the morning, it was fairly warm and quite humid. I had taken some water for Johnny to drink which he had some of about two thirds of the way through. He then had his usual treat of a small bowl of water with a little drop of milk (a favourite treat). When I took him out again a couple of hours later he literally peed for five minutes non stop! No I'm not exaggerating , but having done that he was fine.

So today, not too hot, about 65/70 degrees, he has had two one hour walks, he got a bit warm on his second walk as he had been chasing his ball, and got his milky/water treat on return.....he didn't actually drink it all and I didn't give him that much. At 4.30 we set off for his last long walk of the day and he starts peeing for England, each pee he stops for is taking a couple of minutes, I think I counted forty pees in all! I even caught some of it in my hand (in the absence of a alternative container :lol) to see if it looked "normal" which I'm glad to say it did. The only thing I would say is that the stream seemed rather weak, but he was fully aware he was peeing and aware of when it stopped. I have never come across anything like this, he doesn't seem to have a UTI, no discomfort, he hasn't had any pee (or poop) accidents indoors in the five months we have had him, he doesn't lick his "bits" any more than most boys do ;) do I need to worry ?

Edited by scullysmum

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

I`m sure its normal, mel pepper would pee for England when he was younger, wouldn`t even lift his leg just stand there peeing,when we was going to training classes....Don`t laugh. I was late home from work which in turn made us late for training over Bexhill, and pepper didn`t pee before we went in, but bejesus he did when we was going through the routine was like a small pond -_- ! that said pepper used to pee like a racehorse in his younger days ,probably twice on a 2/3 hour walk and as he got older it became more frequent,i think when they are younger the storage capacity is more adequate ? oh and pep used to lick his bits and get very excited biting his back leg and generally thrashing around on the settee :haha not sure if that was normal though :offwall.hope this helps

Edited by Peppersdad

Thanks Peter, it's good to know....I have never come across a dog that could pee so much, dear old Scully didn't earn the nickname "slack bladder" for nothing :lol

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Well hydrated + excitement (playing etc.), maybe?

I had a girl who often had to go out for A Serious Pee 30-60 minutes after coming inside from a long walk, even if she didn't have a long drink in that time and even if she had peed near the end of the walk. (Now I have a girl who can outmark any boy in town, but that's a different matter :lol .)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I was worried that during this peeing marathon the flow didn't seem to be a forceful as usual....should this be something to worry about? Some kind of restriction or blockage of the bladder or urethra? He didn't seem to be in any discomfort and was dry last night and back to normal today.

He never seems to drink much water, less than Sadi at least. I usually throw away half a bowl of water when it needs refreshing each day, but he always drinks from streams,springs and other supplies (including muddy puddles sometimes) when we are out and he gets hot.

The other thing that he does that none of my others have done is actively seek out shade and lie down when the weather is very warm (please bear in mind that it is generally knowhere near as hot here as it is where some of you live, but it's often quite high humidity)

Edited by scullysmum