Hello From The Desert!

Guest Johberry

Guest Johberry

Greetings from Southern Nevada! I've been lurking on the site for a while now in preparation for adopting a grey, and I figured I'd sign up and say a huge THANK YOU to all who contribute on this board, especially those with plenty of experience with retired racing greys. I had so many questions and had stumbled upon this site and have learned a lot. My significant other and I have been wanting to rescue for a years now. The new guy will be our first dog "together" and my first dog as a "grown-up." The past two weeks have been a little hectic because, of course, I'm frantically attempting to be as prepared as possible. Between ordering dog food to beds to toothpaste to reading books, it feels like I've been preparing for forever when in reality...it is all happening so fast! The placement rep of our adoption agency contacted my boyfriend last night and informed us our application was approved by the board. Just a day earlier she and another member of the rescue group did a home check, brought over our potential greyhound, and talked to us for well over an hour. Anyways, I had been a nervous, anxious wreck all day, and now the excitement is starting to hit and I can't even sleep. I'll be thinking about "my" grey all day at work up until we go pick him up later. Okay, done rambling, sorry. Again, hello...and I welcome any and all advice on these wonderful dogs. Thanks again! :)

Guest normaandburrell

Congratulations on your first grey. There will be some adjustment, but you will be amazed at how quickly you will fall in love with your dog!

Guest Doggone

Autumn is my first grey too, although I've had 4 other dogs over time. I should've been warned........I can't imagine having any other breed now! She's the first one I haven't raised from a puppy, and yet she's the one that seems the most "custom-made" for me. :).......She's unlike any previous dog I've had, but in interesting and good ways.

Good luck with your new greyt pal.

Hi from Las Vegas! Are you adopting through GPA-LV?

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest Johberry

Thank you all for the warm welcome! We picked up our boy this past Friday evening and have been busy bonding and getting him used to us being away from a home a few hours at a time. He is the sweetest, gentlest, and silliest dog I have ever met. My boyfriend and I are just head-over-heels even though it's barely been a few days.

Tracey, yes, we adopted him through GPALV and they have just been so wonderful and supportive, especially our GPA placement rep who fostered our boy when he arrived in Las Vegas a little over a week ago.

I will post pictures as soon as I upload them somewhere and figure out how to post them on here.

Guest Johberry

As promised...this is Enzo, a 70-lb red brindle 4-yr-old male who is adorably already grey in the muzzle.

Car ride home using DB's hand/arm as a pillow..and following pics are first night home Friday night:

IMG_20140829_183005_zps03e9d314.jpgIMG_20140829_200949_zpsab750e2d.jpgIMG_20140829_204921_zps89935793.jpg

Thanks for looking! Sorry for the phone-quality pictures. I will try to take some of him standing up.

Welcome to the amazing, life changing world of retired racing greyhounds. You do know this is a disease for which there is no cure?!!

It will be so much fun watching your hound as he starts to realize that all this good stuff is for him and that you and your boyfriend belong to him.

This site is the best, everyone is so supportive and kind. Rest assured that if you have a challange or issue there are people here who have worked thru the same thing and can offer advice.

May you have many, many happy years with your boy and may this be the first of many hounds to come into your heart and home.

Greetings from the SouthSide of Chicago- Jan and Luka

Oh, I recognize him. Carmen sent me a photo of him roaching. His name was Santa before, right?

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest Johberry

Thanks for all the kinds words. The DB and I can't imagine ever having any other breed now! Aside from school and work, Enzo occupies pretty much ALL of my time, lol.

Tracey--yes, he is that very dog! His roaching is absolutely adorable.