Jump to content

Ikaris Was Diagnosed W Cancer Today


Guest talkintribe
 Share

Recommended Posts

Guest talkintribe

Our sweet dear ikaris hurt his rear leg yesterday so today it was to the vet. Sadly, he was diagnosed w cancer. Ik is 9 years old, 90 lbs (obviously a large gh) and a true family member. We have twin 3 1/2 year olds and a 6 month old. They all adore ikaris and he adores them. Our plan was to keep him comfortable until we couldn't any longer. However, I just read an article about the risk of him really hurting himself w this plan. I am curious what everyone thinks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm so very sorry to see this news about your boy. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is so sad. I am so sorry to read your boy's diagnosis. I can only offer what one of our vet's told us: better a day too early, than a day too late.

 

I do hate cancer. It is the thief who robs us, everyday, of those we love.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm so sorry that your pup has cancer. My first grey had osteo at 5 and we opted to keep her comfy as long as possible. She lived 5 months from time she started limping until we couldn't manage her pain. That said, we tried to be careful that she didnt jump in any way. We made a ramp for her to use with the few steps we had. I'd do the same thing if it happened again. But, I've heard a break is terrible. Good luck with your decision and again, I'm really sorry. I'm sure others will chime in.

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mine lasted a few days from when he started limping. I took him to Charleston and the vet there said I should amputate his leg and he would live about a year after the surgery. I did not want to do this. Could not control the pain, so put him down about 4 days after the limping started. I am the school that a day too early is much better than a day too late.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm so sorry about Ikaris's diagnosis. Your family must be in shock right now. :grouphug

 

There is an ongoing thread, currently named "Osteo Thread Part 8", which I've bumped up to this first page of the forum to be easier to find. You can will find much information and support there, to start with. The most important priority, as you already know, is to make sure Ikaris is pain free starting yesterday.

 

Again, :grouphug

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest talkintribe

Thanks everyone. Yes. We are in utter shock. We told the kids to be extra nice to ik as he doesn't feel well. Thank you for the support and pushing that thread up for us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'am so...sorry to hear the news. Im personally pro-amputation For a younger hound ages 10yr and under. I had 2 diagnosed with osteo one had it in 2 legs which comfort care or chemo but I very anti chemo with my previous experiences. So there for comfort care is what we did 2month was the most time we had with him. My other hound had it in the front leg and amputation was done and successful. The dog lived 1.5 yrs with no chemo. Its a really hard decision to make. Im sorry you have to through this :(

Kristen mom to-

Sp FancyPants (Fanny)- 4.20.12 Adopted 3.8.14

Rico's Maggie (Maggie)- 12.3.12 Adopted 1.21.15

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So sorry. We are going through this too, although not with a greyhound, a big burly lab/pyr cross. She had every treatment going except amp and the cancer still came back at the site. We are still managing to control her pain with an extensive 'medicine kit'...but it won't go on too much longer. Greyhound bones are probably much more fragile...Best wishes...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm so sorry. I've been through this three times. I left all three go very soon after diagnosis, with being sent to the bridge at diagnosis. You'll see many opinions here, but I believe that if they are limping, they are already in a great deal of pain. I didn't want that for any of then.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest normaandburrell

So sorry to hear you are going through this. Whatever you decide will be right. You know your dog. Spoil your sweet boy as much as you can for now. We didn't know our grey had cancer until he broke his hip, and we will always regret that we didn't get to do that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm so sorry. I let mine go soon after diagnosis. The cancer had spread, and his shoulder looked so fragile. He had been limping off and on, was treated for a sprain, and then we did the X-rays. He still acted fine, except for the limp. I had four other large dogs, a doggie door, and I was at work all day. I knew someone who came home from work and found her dog with a broken leg in the yard. I didn't want to take that chance. Lots of good info in the osteo thread. It wasn't around when I went through it. Remember, it is YOUR dog, and YOUR decision. Don't let anyone try to make you feel guilty, or change your mind when you make your decision. We all love our dogs,and should be allowed to do what we feel is right for them. You will find that some folks in the osteo club are very passionate about their own choice, and sometimes a little rough on folks who make a different choice. Take what you need from that group, and make your own decision. Love and spoil your dog in the time you have left. Take lots of pictures, and make sure that someone takes pictures of you and the dog together! Good luck! Hugs!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest talkintribe

My wife and I really appreciate the comments. I am so darn sad about ik. Neither of us are ready to say goodbye! 24 hours ago this was not even in a remote possibility. Thank you, especially neighsayer. We feel guilty for even considering all of the possibilities.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Remember, it is YOUR dog, and YOUR decision. Don't let anyone try to make you feel guilty, or change your mind when you make your decision. We all love our dogs,and should be allowed to do what we feel is right for them. You will find that some folks in the osteo club are very passionate about their own choice, and sometimes a little rough on folks who make a different choice. Take what you need from that group, and make your own decision. Love and spoil your dog in the time you have left. Take lots of pictures, and make sure that someone takes pictures of you and the dog together! Good luck! Hugs!

Thank you, Neighsayer. This is so important. You know your dog. We don't. I stayed away from the osteo club because of some strong opinions. Do whatever you think is best for all of you and do not feel guilty. :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest giantsfan

I am so sorry! I have not had to make this decision, but wanted to echo what others have said in that the only right decision is the one you and your family come to which you think is best for the hound you love.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So sorry about Ikaris having this. I feel deeply for you.

We were going through the same thing here, one month ago. Mine was 10, and we did not choose amputation. I know others have gone that way, even with dogs older than she was, but I knew it wasn't right for her. I agree with others...you know your dog best. In my experience, I got a lot of non-judgemental support from the Osteo thread. So many people here have had to make these same hard choices. With Jackie's situation, we let her go about 4 weeks after she started limping, but only several days after official diagnosis.

I don't think there's a "right" and "wrong" way to deal with this. Just do the best you can, and we will support. :grouphug

2rqyqhd.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are just about nine months post-amp with Henry. He was 5-years-old at diagnosis, otherwise healthy, and a very laid-back guy... all things that made him a great candidate for amputation and chemo. His cancer (although it presented just like osteo), ended up being a less aggressive type. There's no way we would've figured that out unless we did the amputation. I do believe, however, that the course of treatment or palliative care you decide upon is entirely a personal decision. I'm just putting it out there that, although rare, some dogs can beat the odds.

 

 

35n08l4.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest beetle_slayer

I am sorry about your pup. I am going through this also. Our 6 1/2 year old girl had amputation earlier this month and first chemo last week. Please take this to heart. Do NOT underestimate the physical, mental, and emotional toll it will take on you and your family which ever way you will go. It has not been an easy route that we took. I am still questioning if we made the best decision for her. Chemo last Thursday and Hasn't eaten since Tuesday morning. Vomiting for 1 day, diarrhea for several days, lots of money, worrying, etc. Is it worth it? She's still here with us and we hope to soon be past this. It is not to say that you should just give up and say goodbye either. Either way, please look at everything involved: money, living style, emotional and physical strength.

I wish you and your family the best in making choices for your loved one(s). I don't regret our decision but question it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
Guest talkintribe

Well...thank you all for your thoughts a few months ago. Today, we said goodbye to our dear ikaris. We kept his leg wrapped and on pain meds the last several months. He'd been visiting the vet every few weeks for checkups. On Saturday, his leg looked terrible so it was time. We are heartbroken but know he's not in pain any longer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...