Not Peeing-Not Sure If I Should Be Concerned Or Not Yet

Guest rarmstrong

Guest rarmstrong

Hi all!

This weekend, Willis hurt himself out on a walk. I took him to the vet, and the vet determined that he had a small puncture wound in his back, left paw. Nothing too serious, and should heal up in the next few days. The vet prescribed some pain medication and antibiotics.

Today was a pill filled day for Willis. He's taken his sentinel, nexgard, 1 pain med pill, 1 antibiotic pill, and his daily dose of prozac and trazodone. He's been eating just fine (both meals this morning and in the evening) and hasn't seemed any different. Other than the fact that he hasn't gone to the bathroom since 1:30pm today (it's now 9:36pm). I've taken him out twice since 1:30, and nothing. He tried a couple times to pee, with no success.

Should I be concerned? Or should I wait until the morning? I realize he has had A LOT in his system today, and that could cause some constipation/lack of urination.

Edited by rarmstrong

If he's trying and can't, best not to wait till morning. Constipation usually isn't a big deal. Inability to urinate is a big deal.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I wouldn't have given a dog already on Trazadone and Prozac pain meds for a small puncture wound.

That's a lot of pharmeceuticals already. I also NEVER give heartworm and flea/tick preventative on the same day.

Agree with the others; if he's trying to pee and can't, that could be an emergency.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest rarmstrong

He's doing well. I called the ER, and they said as long as he seemed like himself and was displaying signs of discomfort that he would probably be okay. When I took him out this morning, he urinated and defecated without issue. He's also eaten all of his food, and played. So I think he's doing alright :)