Stealing The Kids Stuffed Toys.

Guest loki1

Loki our 21 month old male, is a bit like a bower bird and like to steal the kids teddies and take them to his bed. Originally, he would growl if we would take them away. We ended up trading a treat for the toy and saying Ta. Now he is happy to let us remove the cherished toy. They kids have put away they special toys and donated 2 teddies for him. We hide them for him as he prefers to seek them out and smuggle them to his bed. Recently he has started throwing them up in the air and play biting them (more mouthing them than biting and tearing) . Should we let him play or should we discourage this.

If they're his toys, let him play. He's still young and it will help with his energy. If he takes something that's not his, trade it for something acceptable.

:nod Absolutely. Many, though not all, greyhounds like to play with stuffed toys - I believe in some cases these have been used in their racing training. And it's not just a hobby for the young uns - my old boy at 13 has just been prancing round the living room with his teddy bear. He's having fun and it helps keep him active.

Don't worry about such an activity 'developing' prey drive - Loki knows well enough when he is playing with his bear that it is not a live one. And trying to collect toys in his own bed is not uncommon, either. He's new in your house and is still trying to figure out how it all works!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Guest Liz_in_PA

Get a stuffy at the store where you can put an empty water bottle in it and listen to the crunching sounds. And learn to duck

When they come flying past.

Trade up your child's toy for his toys if he does this so often he's getting lots of treats. Also make sure that none of your child's toys that he plays with have any plastic pieces (eyes, nose) that could be chewed off and digested.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thanks guys. Its funny how Liz_in_PA mentioned the plastic bottle in a stuffed toy, because his favourite toy is Donkey from Shrek, as it has plastic in the mouth to hold its shape and Loki loves to hear the crunching sound. Glad to know I'm not increasing his hunt instinct and just watching my boy have fun.

I would say to get him some toys of his own, so he doesn't need to take your kid's toys.

We have a whole toybox for the dogs. They love digging through it to find the one they want!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

And please keep in mind that your dog can't tell the difference between the children's toys that he is allowed to play with and the ones that he is not allowed to play with.

Both of my greys love to play with stuffed toys, and they will sneak into DD's room and steal one every chance they get, even with a basket full of their toys to play with.

61bd4941-fc71-4135-88ca-2d22dbd4b59a_zps

Payton, The Greyhound (Palm City Pelton) and Toby, The Lab
Annabella and Julietta, The Cats
At the Bridge - Abby, The GSD

better yet...give the child dog toys!!

seriously, they can't tell the difference between their own toys and kid's toys. as long as the favorite kid toys are put away it sounds like things are working out. but there might be a barbie or something else who will end up needing the emergency room. as long as you aren't talking beanies or other toys that will cause harm, enjoy.