K9Advantix, Frontline, Etc.

I'm hoping for a little advice on the best combination of heart worm, flea, & tick prevention to use. We just moved to Baltimore and I'm under the impression that tick prevention might be more critical here than it was in Houston. Our 3 were taking trifexis only. I have switched them to Sentinel + K9Advantix. The only problem is that they seem to not like the advantix. It can be as long as 2 weeks after I apply it and they are still very sensitive when I pet the area or around the area where it was applied. It makes them do that weird little wiggle like something tickles or is in some way not a good feeling. They took frontline several years ago before trifexis came out so this is not the first time they have had a topical prevention. Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance for your input!

Lisa & Chris with Bella and Little Petey

~Our sweet Ian forever in our hearts~

Guest gryhnd3

I haven't ever tried anything other than Frontline, and usually try to find the Frontline top spot as opposed to Plus. I have had one dog have a reaction in that it's a bit too chemical for him, he'll cough/gag a bit. What I do is buy the package for a dog half their weight and that seems to work just as fine as a full dose for their weight.

We live in Pittsburgh and use Heartgard Plus and Nexgard. No problems here. Even though Nexgard is much more expensive, I like the 'freedom' of not having to use a topical. I tried K9 Advantix, and even though I don't doubt its efficacy, I hated that greasy spot. It seemed to last forever!! Prior to that, we used Frontline Plus. If I had to go back to a topical, it would be Frontline.

Ask your neighbors what they use successfully for their dogs. I've heard reports that fleas/ticks in one area may develop a resistance to one preventative but respond to another one. I'd check with local pet owners and vets.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)