How Long Did You Wait To Get A New Dog

Guest ceelo

how long did you wait to get a new dog  

137 members have voted

1. 1. how long did you wait to get a new dog

• we got a new dog when we knew we might lose our current one (overlap)
    • we waited less than a day
    • within a week
    • within the first month
    • between 1 and 2 months
    • between 3 and 6 months
    • between 6 months and a year
    • more than a year
    • more than 2 years
    • its been a while and its still not the right time yet
    • we just couldnt bring ourselves to ever get a new dog
    • other (please explain)

Guest noblebluboy

I have just lost two greyhounds in the last three months. Bullwinkle had bone cancer, lived a few months after being diagnosed, and Noha became totally paralyzed in hind quarters for unknown reason. That leaves me with five girls. For the last fifteen years I have had so many at a time, I have never had to wonder if I would get another, but if I was put in that position I probably would get another soon thereafter. I have some that I whelped, trained, raced.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SissysMom

My heart dog, Gabby an Aussie died Oct. 2001, We adopted Sissy in Feb. 2003. For us it was a few reasons that made us hold off for so long. First we wanted to wait and heal some and second we knew we wanted to relocate to another city. We just could not see bringing another dog into Gabby's house. She was the Queen of that house. I still miss her so much, but having Sissy around does help. Sometimes I can look in her eyes and tell that she was sent to help me heal.

We did adopt a kitty after Gabby died. He kept our home from being empty.

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's very hard to lose a dog. It is totally devestating. However, my philosphy is that there are so many greys who need a home that it would be selfish on my part not to get one as soon as I could. We have lots of love in our house, and we need to share it. However, I have never felt that we replaced a dog. All of my dogs have been irreplaceable. We just got another dog to love.

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

Guest 4luvofGreys
. Sometimes I can look in her eyes and tell that she was sent to help me heal.

I have already posted here when this first came up, so I've said we got our first Grey..Chase little over 2 weeks after my heart dog Brandy died this past March but I felt just like this about Him....he was here to help and he did heal my heart.

I also have to agree with what Nancy14 said "However, I have never felt that we replaced a dog. All of my dogs have been irreplaceable. We just got another dog to love. "

Its like the song Garth Brooks sings "The Dance" :)

Its worth it all in the end to have one to love.

Guest trevdog

I lost my first grey, Trevor, 10 days ago. When I knew he would not be with me much longer, I said no more dogs. But after his passing, I could only wait 3 days and contacted the adoption agency I got him from. They were very sympathetic and are lining up a few with Trevor type traits for me to visit with. Although I can't replace him and don't want to, I hope one of the new "prospects" can help heal my heart. I will be meeting them next weekend, and hope Trevor will be happy I am helping a new grey find a forever home. :gh_run2:heart

• 4 weeks later...
I chose "other" because we always have a pack of dogs. They seem to "find" us, instead of us finding them...

Isn't that the truth! I just wish they'd come with a winning lottery ticket :lol For some reason the ones that find me are medically needy :)

I had no intention of adding to my pack after SieSie and Shadow went to the bridge. Sigh.....

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest seniorhoundlover
I chose "other" because we always have a pack of dogs. They seem to "find" us, instead of us finding them...

Isn't that the truth! I just wish they'd come with a winning lottery ticket :lol For some reason the ones that find me are medically needy :)

I had no intention of adding to my pack after SieSie and Shadow went to the bridge. Sigh.....

:lol:lol:lol Oh, Diane, I so agree!! The last two alone ate up the RV fund AND the Disney vacation fund!! :blink: Oh, well, some things are priceless. :colgate

Spikey is on his way to the bridge........he was a 30# stray found in NY City and we've done our best to get him well........he's gained weight (about 55# in the photo)......but so sick, it's so sad........I don't think we'll get another when he goes........my husband wants another EBD right away, but no way for me, and since I take care of the dogs, it won't be happening. It's heartbreaking. Maybe another Grey someday though.....but not anytime soon, this I know.

Guest WebErika

I've not had to do this yet ... in my adult life.

But we'd overlap if we could. If we knew.

If we didn't, we wouldn't wait. We couldn't. We need our animals. We need their companionship. Of course we'd be heart broken, and the new one wouldn't "replace" the old one, but just be someone we could hug and grieve with. Someone else to lavish the love on, you know?

I've lost a lot of animals in my life, and am well prepped for the most part. When I was training horses, it was not uncommon to have a horse for a week, before it got taken away, and replaced with another. Or you'd be working with one for a long time, get really attached to it, and it would be hurt/sold/hurt so bad it needed to be put down/etc.

So developing a tough skin to the loss of a "pet" was of the utmost priority for me. Seems cold, but, well, I don't know, you need to move on I guess.

We'd be devastated if anything happened to any of boys and girls ... but we'd be ok. More boys and girls out there to give a warm comfy home to.

I re-read this and I realize it sounds a bit cold, and I apologize ... but ... I don't know, it's hard to put what you need to do to move on into words that everyone can understand. :/

Edited by WebErika

Guest Frances
I still cry and miss Spade, no dog will be able to replace him.

For me, the key to accepting a new dog was the realization that I would/could never *replace* any of them. I needed to open my heart to each new personality and trait and accept each as an individual. Once that was in my mind, I couldn't wait another day. Good thoughts of love to all who have lost their heart and found it again.

• 2 weeks later...

After Joe died my aunt was very vocal about us NOT getting another dog. We have enough responsibilities, we would look at it as a replacement, etc.

But getting Angel really did help me to heal. Joe was our only dog, and Angel gave me something else to focus on besides my loss.

We've been very lucky.

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)

Guest mysweetgreys

Hello,

I have not signed in for awhile and feel a little lost. In reply to this subject, we lost Trent on September 6th, 2003 to osteosarcom. I too, do not know when is the right time. I look at TLC website weekly to see who is needing home. Sunshine, my other grey seems as though, she needs to be in the same room with me all the time. Wines when I leave and waits by the window for me to return from work. She dearly needs someone to romp and run with. She waits for my husband to go out in the yard sometimes and chase her like Trent would do. Trent was such a laid back boy and so very sweet. Of course, I will never find another like him. I guess my heart will tell me when I see the special one on the TLC website. The one who wants to come home with us and become part of our family. :unsure Rita, Sunshine and my angel Trent, the beautiful black shiney boy.

Good luck/

post-15-1072654277.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
Guest mleg2001

Though I entered 1 to 2 months, my search started within a week of Callie's passing, my new girl is very much a tribute to Callie and the love I have for her.

Guest canagreyts

As the major care-giver to our animals, I had no intention of getting another animal after we lost our cat in March of '02 then our Shepard/Heeler x in June of '02. It was a devastating time as both had diseases and had to put to sleep, something I had never experienced before. Skeeter (our dog) went to the Bridge on Wednesday and I came alone Wednesday and Thursday night. No welcomes at the door, no wagging tails or happy meows just a big silent house as my husband (a truckdriver) was on the road and our daughter is often out with friends. By the time Darin got home Friday night, I had looked up a greyhound site (we really knew nothing about them). How's this for "meant to be". We e-mailed an adoption agency Saturday morning explaining our situation and saying we were interested in learning more about greys. They e-mailed back saying that that day they were having a greyhound reunion and we could come and see over a hundred greys! Well, by the time we left there to come home, Maggie was firmly ensconced in the pick-up truck with us and two months later we adopted her "brother" Nebraska. I have never regretted adopting so quickly after our loss.

I think all of us say that we will never have another animal after we lose one. But as animal lovers, we are not content unless we have them around. I don't know when it will be right for us to get another dog since Belle died the 2nd of January. I know I can never replace her and I don't want to do that. There will only be one Belle. And yes, we still mourn her death. My 11yr old son will still see something that reminds him of her and start crying. I will call the dogs to "kennel up" or something and her name is always included. Sometimes I still catch myself keeping her name in the pack when I talk with people as if she were still alive. Its really hard sometimes. I do know that the right little girl will come along again to add to our pack. Until then we just wait and continue our work with the hounds. We watch them come into our home for a while and then into their forever home.

<b>These of course are just my humble opinions and in no way express the thoughts or ideas of the management, staff or members of this or any other board.. </b>
James River Greyhounds, Richmond VA
Homer, Gunnar and Scarlett,... Bridge Kids, Belle, Toby, Tanner, Pumpkin, Dimples and Tyrone, Willis, Duncan, Clea,Cable and Gracie

Guest chillwig

I'd always had two dogs so I was never without a dog until bandit, a German shepherd mix. AFt er Shannon died, Bandit became an only dog. When he passed at 14 we were heart broken. The house was so empty, I hated coming home from work. He died on Christmas day. Four days later, I found an ad in the paper for Greyhounds and called. This was the one and only time they actually ran an ad but because of the holidays, they were anxious to get the remaining dog adopted. I decided to take her sight unseen and we picked her up and she jumped up on the seat of the van, put her head on my lap and never moved from me for almost 9 years!

Sheba was my heart dog and I just lost her in December 2003. Since we have three other Greys, I had decided to try fostering but the morning I was to pick up my foster, My Sam broke his leg and had it amputated! So for now, as long as Sam is here, it will remain the three of them even though I feel like I have a huge hole in my heart that aches for Sheba. I guess it was better for her to go quickly and be in good health until the end(she had a massive stroke) but it was a shock to us and very difficult to deal with.

We had previously lost Sasha to brain and kidney tumors and she was just turning 7. That was very difficult to deal with because she was so young. We were not going to get another but a month later, at our annual picnic, I spotted 'Delilah' and she came home within a week. then, I made the mistake of looking on our website and spotted a beautiful blue brindle and after a week of coaxing, Zeus came to live with us.

I can't even imagine life without a greyhound. I feel that by getting another it honors the one that has just passed because they were so loved that a void is left in your heart and you have to find another to help fill it. :mellow::mellow::mellow::mellow:

• 3 weeks later...

I have had 6 dogs of my own now. (two who I still have)

When Shawna (a deaf Border Collie who we adopted at age nine) was getting older we decided to get a Keeshond puppy named Shadow...only two weeks after getting Shadow, Shawna went to the bridge. At five Shadow passed away from cancer. After him I waited three years before getting my beloved "Golden Girl" Ginger...when Ginger was four I adopted a a mix puppy named Toby..sady Ginger passed in November from bloat. :cry1 The next day we were informed of a Border Collie/Labrador puppy who was in urgent need of a home or the owner was going to throw him in the canal. :angryfire Allthough I felt it was too soon, we took him...unfortunately I developed a severe allergic reaction to him and he had to go. :( He is now looking for his new forever home at the rescue where I adopted Toby from...the same day we took him down there we brought back an Aussie named Scout (who we originally planned to foster)...after an hour there to make sure I wouldn't have an allergic reaction to him we decided to go ahead and adopt.

*edited because I left some words out

Edited by Am_04

Guest GreyKiss

I had a foster dog Petee since November 2003. My Angel girl developed osteosarcoma the first week in January. I had planned to adopt Petee anyway. After my Angel girl passed over the Rainbow Bridge, I adopted Petee. I had 2 greyhounds before Petee, and I still have 2 greyhounds now- Brittni and Petee.

I don't look at it as replacing Angel, but saving another greyhound. It was quiet at home when Angel was no longer there, but it would have quieter had I not had Petee in my home at the time. :beatheart

post-15-1077207249.jpg

Edited by GreyKiss

Guest FullMetalFrank

I still speak of Iberia as if he's still here a lot of times. His presance is certainly still much felt here. We'll never be able to replace him, even if it were physically possible (I am sure they broke the mold with that one!) Frankie needs to be an "only" grey...

• 4 years later...

I chose between 1 and 2 months because the poll said the "last". That's not typical for me though, I normally do the overlap thing, and get a younger dog before losing the senior. Peachie was 14 when I got Bizzy..and "overlapped" for over 3 wonderful years!

Guest tobinhr

I have a sign: "A house without a greyhound is not a home."

That's exactly how I felt after Mac went to the Bridge last month. Joey came home about 3-4 weeks later. I NEED that face, those eyes, those goofy things greys do as an antidote to all the toxic things life can throw at you.

I did, however, get the OPPOSITE looks. Joey is a female, is much smaller and black. (Mac was a red brindle..) That way I KNOW I am not replacing Mac. Joey fills the emptiness that Mac left behind and every day seems a bit easier to handle.

Jan

Joey, the different and the same